This is a discussion on Re: High disk load +mount/atacontrol/NFS/SMBFS crashes the system - FreeBSD ; --Sig_PDFt=oc._LDuK4anFqi.32k Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 23:33:47 -0700 Garrett Cooper wrote: > Ale, > I'm not sure what's going on exactly based on the information you=20 > provided, but I would try the following steps ...
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 23:33:47 -0700
> I'm not sure what's going on exactly based on the information you=20
> provided, but I would try the following steps to isolate the issue:
> 1) See if you can upgrade the first machine to a later version of=20
> FreeBSD, say 6.2. I believe that there were related issues resolved in=20
> 6.2, but my memory could be incorrect. See if your problems occur after=20
I did that.
> 2) Try grabbing a different machine if possible and see if the same=20
> issue occurs when you put the new machine as server and client with one=20
> of the other machines.
I used a Win XP machine as client / server.
> 3) Try switching roles with the 2 machines. If machine 1 is usually=20
> server, let it play client and vice versa with machine 2.
Also did this.
> 4) Remove the new drive if possible, see if issue goes away. If it does,=
> try acquiring a cheap(er) drive and put it
It's the only drive it has, I meant the second machine is all new, not
just the disk.
> Also, it appears that another FreeBSD team member had a similar issue=20
> (see: http://people.freebsd.org/~pho/stress/log/cons205.html and=20
> http://people.freebsd.org/~pho/stress/log/cons225.html). I dunno how but=
> it showed up as one of the leading searches on Google.
> It looks like a (localized) filesystem issue, but I'm not sure what it=20
> is exactly.
The fsync() problem seems to be related to that, but the rest could be
be a different thing. Also I only got it twice. Maybe the filesystem
issues were only derived from the crashes.
I was unable to reproduce the problem in the first machine, maybe it
was fixed on FreeBSD 6.2 as you said. The only things I also did when
testing was unloading fuse.ko (unused) and linprocfs.ko (after
umounting it). However I will test it a few times more, and let you
know the results.
The strange crash in the new 6.2 machine when using atacontrol is still
unexplained and I couldn't make it happen again (it now refuses to
switch to UDMA100 mode when it is SATA300, maybe they aren't supported
in SATA drives, but the other time it just crashed without advise).
Thank you for your help with this.
Content-Type: application/pgp-signature; name=signature.asc
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=signature.asc
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (FreeBSD)
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----