In message <1182408338.68646.8.camel@shumai.marcuscom.com>, you wrote:

>Debugging is the only way to go as I cannot reproduce this problem ,and
>you are the only one complaining of it. That said, you might try
>www/firefox (which is Firefox 2.0).

Begging yourt pardon, but that does not seem to be the case, actually.

In the /usr/ports tree that was distributed with 6.2-RELEASE (which is
what I am runing, and what I just installed) the Makefile within the
www/firefox directory makes it abundantly clear that doing a "make" in
that directory will only get me another (probably equally broken) copy
of Firefox 1.5.0.8.

So what should I do? Download a new /usr/ports tree and then go into
www/firefox and do a build?

>> I don't remember ever installing anything from the /usr/ports tree for th=

>is.
>>=20
>> I believe that I just pulled the pre-compiled package "firefox-1.5.0.8,1"
>> off of the install CDs. Anyway, in /var/db/pkg I do see an entrit called
>> firefox-1.5.0.8,1.

>Try using ports instead of packages.

See above. The /usr/ports tree that was distributed with 6.2-RELEASE contains
the same versions of stuff as are in the pre-compiled packages.

>>=20
>> OK, so let's say that I want to try the linux-firefox version. I must
>> ask this: Do I first need to replace all of the X11 related stuff, i.e.
>> "upgrade" from X.org 6.9.0 to X.org 7.2 first?

>You definitely should upgrade all your ports before reporting problems.

Yeabut is X11 considered part of "ports"?

That's what I am asking, and what I would like somebody to help me to
understand. (Please forgive my abundant ignorance and please do enlighten
me.)

I thought that X11 was _special_ and that it was more of an intergral part
of the OS. No? Just another "port"?

I'm paranoid also that the minute I go and try to change out all of X11,
that I'll be breaking a whole hell of a lot of other stuff that may already
be installed and that may be dependent on the presence of X.org 6.9.0
(which is what one guy I saw during my googling was ranting about, I think,
i.e. breakage of many dependencies when "upgrading" to a new release of X).

Maybe all I really need is some gentle reassurance from somebody who has
already been there and done that.

Tell me that all hell _won't_ break loose when/if I go and "upgrade" to
X.org 7.2 (and then upgrade to Firefox 2.0) and I'll be a happy camper.

>That is step one in the previous URL I sent you.

Well, that's just like me... always getting hung on Step Number #1. :-)

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
rfg

P.S. You didn't answer my question about the FreeBSD gnome mailing list.
Is there one? Is its posting address?