--=-dciD15gIFVMCJiadYBh4

On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 16:25 -0700, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
> In message <1182319952.60352.32.camel@shumai.marcuscom.com>, you wrote:
>=20
> >> Problem(s) summary:
> >>=3D20
> >> I've just upgraded my main work/desktop system from (ancient) FreeBSD =

4.1=3D
> >1
> >> to 6.2-RELEASE, and thus, switched from some ancient rev of Mozilla to
> >> Firefox, and I'm having some really serious problems with it.

> >I hope you rebuilt all of your ports when you did this.

>=20
> Well, I think that's not a relevant quiestion in my case because when _I_
> do an ``upgrade'' I always start from a clean disk, do a fresh install of
> the (new) OS that I want, and then I move all of my ``user'' files over t=

> the freshly installed system.
>=20
> I've found that it works better to do this, rather than trying to actuall=

> install a new OS releasee over / on-top-of an older one.
>=20
> So anyway, yes, I end up with a whole new ports tree this way.
>=20
> >>=3D20
> >> In particular, it locks up (and pegs CPU usage to 100%) each time I ei=

the=3D
> >> (a) try to download a file, to disk, from any web site or (b) try to
> >> switch back and forth a few times between the cute icons at the top of
> >> the little pop-up window that comes up when one tries to adjust "Prefe=

ren=3D
> >ces".
> >
> >I don't see this here. You should follow the steps listed at
> >http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/bugging.html to get a backtrace from
> >the running process when it pegs the CPU.

>=20
> Well, thank you, I guess, however the page you pointed me to doesn't
> contain any information on getting a stacak trace. It does however conta=

in
> a link to this page:
>=20
> http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/bugging.html
>=20
> which tries to descrube the process, but it notes that first, I must get =

> hold of a version of fixrfox that's been compiled with debugging symbols.
> (I know all about this, as I used to work on the GDB debugger quite a lot=

..)
>=20
> So now, my big question is: Where/How can I get hold of a binary of Fire=

fox
> (1.5.whatever) that has the debugging symbols in it?
>=20
> I'd also like to know if I _must_ get a stack trace the way that's descri=

bed
> on the page I give a link to above, or if I could instead just run the th=

ing
> (Firefox) in GDB and get it that way.
>=20
> Lastly, if I try to debug it via GDB, will that even work? The last time=

> checked... which I admit was perhaps 3+ years ago... GDB didn't undertand
> threads properly on FreeBSD, making debugging a thread-based programs wit=

> GDB essentially impossible.

Debugging is the only way to go as I cannot reproduce this problem ,and
you are the only one complaining of it. That said, you might try
www/firefox (which is Firefox 2.0). You may have better luck that with
1.5.

> I don't remember ever installing anything from the /usr/ports tree for th=

is.
>=20
> I believe that I just pulled the pre-compiled package "firefox-1.5.0.8,1"
> off of the install CDs. Anyway, in /var/db/pkg I do see an entrit called
> firefox-1.5.0.8,1.

Try using ports instead of packages.

>=20
> OK, so let's say that I want to try the linux-firefox version. I must
> ask this: Do I first need to replace all of the X11 related stuff, i.e.
> "upgrade" from X.org 6.9.0 to X.org 7.2 first?

You definitely should upgrade all your ports before reporting problems.
That is step one in the previous URL I sent you.

Joe

--=20

--=-dciD15gIFVMCJiadYBh4

--=-dciD15gIFVMCJiadYBh4--