Thanks, but I had changed symlinks as soon as I finished building Firefox, so
I don't think that it could be what is causing the problem.

I see this error
GConf Error: Failed to launch configuration server: Failed to execute child
process "/usr/local/libexec/gconfd-2" (Invalid argument)

could this be relevant?

Another problem, probably unrelated to this, this: when Firefox 2 starts, it
seems to hang for a long time before I can go to one of the bookmarked
sites. I see this message repeated a lot "failed to exec
/usr/local/libexec/gam_server". If I start gam_server by hand, Firefox goes
to the bookmarked site immediately.

Is this relevant?

Thanks and regards,