> Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 21:50:20 +1000
> From: ghostcorps
> Sender: owner-freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
> Hi
> Thanks for taking the time to read this.
> When I make avahi from the port directory:
> ===> avahi-0.6.10_3 conflicts with installed package(s):
> howl-1.0.0_1
> and also the pkg dosn't seem to be installing as either avahi or
> avahi-0.6.10_3 (or with any of the numbers removed).
> I have read about the howl compat layer but cant really make too much sence
> out of it, am I wrong in thinking it installs automatically? And, if so
> could you suggest somthign I should look at to fix it?

avahi and howl both install files of the same names in the same
locations, so it is impossible to install both. As avahi has a howl
compatibility layer, it is a drop-in replacement and should be installed
with the command:
portupgrade -o /usr/ports/net/avahi -f howl

This assumes that you use portupgrade and your ports tree is in the
standard location.
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
E-mail: oberman@es.net Phone: +1 510 486-8634