On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Bill Moran wrote:

> Like all benchmarks, I doubt these are perfect (or even close) examples
> of real-world use.
>
> However, in the hopes that they will be useful for improving FreeBSD, I
> present them to the community.
>
> http://www.potentialtech.com/wmoran/postgresql.php
>
> Intelligent comments are welcome.

I'd have to chime in here with two recommendations:

(1) Try 4.8-STABLE

(2) Try 5.1-CURRENT

With a distinct preference for (1) before (2). Some parts of -CURRENT
have gotten faster, others have gotten temporarily slower (new locks in
place without Giant coming off them yet, which adds overhead).

I'd also check your block sizes for interaction with Postgres and see if
different block and fragment sizes help/hurt. It could be that postgres
would benefit from different tuning parameters on FreeBSD, especially with
newer UFS file systems.

Robert N M Watson FreeBSD Core Team, TrustedBSD Projects
robert@fledge.watson.org Network Associates Laboratories