Small addendum:

Someone asked me off-list whether I use the "interruptible"
flag for the NFS mounts, and suggested switching it off.

Well, I always set the interruptible flag, so that processes
don't hang in case of NFS problems (so I can kill or Ctrl-C
them). Otherwise they will hang forever until I reboot.

It is my understanding that the interruptible flag has only
an effect when a signal is delivered to a process which is
blocked on NFS I/O. Or am I wrong?

Regards
Oliver