> To be fair, Aryeh - your report was of a sort that indicated it
> could very well have been an upstream issue. Torrents in particular
> are unpredictable critters, and - given you've said you had only the
> one box - I don't see how/where you could have emulated that 'locally'.

If it wasn't for the following facts (which where in the orginal
message and/or the immediate followup to Pyun):

* All applications are effected for example here is something that
happened earlier tonight (if I was organized I could of copied many of
these over the last few days [was doing a portupgrade -afk] but this
is the only one I copied):

> => Attempting to fetch from
> http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/xine/.
> xine-lib-1.1.7.tar.gz 9% of 8660 kB 40
> kBps 03m13s
> fetch: xine-lib-1.1.7.tar.gz appears to be truncated:

868700/8868650 bytes

FTP also was sending garbagged data

* It is time triggered plus to some extent the only common
denominator being time and re(4)

* Rebooting the FreeBSD machine [static IP and DMZ] (and nothing
else on the network) always solves the problem
> As to the re(4) 'issue' - we are scp'ing seriously large container
> files over local switches internal to the rack, AND both
> carrier-grade and sod-awful residential cable-modem links, csuping
> often, etc --- all w/o *any* of the reported 're' problems (so far).

This seems to only have appeared recently in 8-current (say last two
weeks or so)
> Meanwhile - more accurate / detailed research & reporting, and a bit
> less sarcasm would be useful.

If you can tell me how to capture a phantom I would be able to do this.

- --
Aryeh M. Friedman
Developer, not business, friendly
Version: GnuPG v2.0.4 (FreeBSD)