Hi,

I'm catching up on FreeBSD email after a long hiatus.

Reinhard Haller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> routed has problems with setsockopt registering itself for multicast.
> The trace contains the following messages:
>
> IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP ALLROUTERS: Can't assign requested address
> turn on RIP
> setsockopt(IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP RIP): Can't assign requested address
> setsockopt(rdisc_sock,IP_MULTICAST_IF): Can't assign requested address

That's because the ip_multicast_if() hack has been deprecated in
-CURRENT for months now, because routed (and other multicast
applications) really should be using the RFC 3678 APIs.

I'm pretty sure I already pointed people at patches for converting
routed to use the updated multicast APIs much earlier in the year;
please check the archives, or see here:
http://people.freebsd.org/~bms/dump/routed.rfc3678.diff

I haven't tested or committed the routed patch due to a lack of user
feedback, sadly -- which is regrettable, we all end up feeling the pain
during a release cycle if issues aren't nipped in the bud there and then.

Marko: I would much prefer it if ip_multicast_if() is not reintroduced
to 7-CURRENT.

kind regards,
BMS