Yes, the IDE of SB600/SB700 do support only one IDE channel.
I suggest freeing that used resource (like ATISINGLE in the other patch)

There are detailed specifications of the SB600 chipset available:

ATI SB600 Series - Specifications (Overview),00.html

AMD SB600 Databook (Detailed specification)

I could not find information like that for SB700 or SB750, here a
article that states that there is also only single IDE at SB700: