--==_Exmh_1195058886_76498P

> Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 23:50:24 -0800 (PST)
> From: Doug Barton
>
> On Mon, 12 Nov 2007, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>
> >> Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 16:45:45 -0800 (PST)
> >> From: Doug Barton
> >> Sender: owner-freebsd-current@freebsd.org
> >>
> >> Just in case someone here can help, and/or it's a bigger problem that
> >> might affect the release.
> >>
> >> The interesting part for this list is probably:
> >> (WW) OS did not count PCI devices, guessing wildly

> > This is only a warning and I get it on every FreeBSD system I have that
> > is running x.org 7.3. I have had no problems with X.

> Ok, fair enough.
>
> > I have a Radeon not an nVidia, but the external monitor on it works
> > fine.

> Are you plugging the monitor into the laptop, or are you using a docking
> station?
>
> > I just turn it on with xrandr,

> If you do 'xrandr --verbose' does the external monitor show up? If not,
> how do you "turn it on?"

Doug,

I'm on travel today, so I can't test until tomorrow, but xrandr shows
all of the devices, VGA-0 (VGA connection on docking station), DVI-0
(DVI connection on docking station), LVDS (Laptop screen), and S-video
(S-video connector). Unless I plug in a monitor, all connections (except
LVDS) show as "disconnected". If I plug something in, it then shows as
"connected" and available modes appear.

The display is still reporting no signal until I do an xrandr command to
put something on the display. I could probably also set it up as a
second screen in xorg.conf, but I have not tried this.

xrandr --output VGA-0 --same-as LVDS

This makes the VGA connected display show the same thing as the laptop
display (other than resolution)

I have not tried plugging into the laptop. I'll try this tomorrow, as
well.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)