--=-L4msg9i75sc/WBklipS2

On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 10:30 -0500, Coleman Kane wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've tried again the latest version of if_bge.c on my HP 6710b
> > laptop with no results, even after setting hw.bge.allow_asf=3D"0".
> > I've also tried with the debugger and it seems to panic when
> > calling free() in device_probe_child.c (IIRC). Then I #define'd
> > BUS_PROBE and the freeze occurs after displaying something like
> > "devclass_alloc_unit: now: unit 0 in devclass bge".
> >
> > The 7 Beta 1.5 install CD hangs also when loading the driver.
> >
> > I have a coredump made from whithin the debugger with the exact
> > place where the faulty free() occurs, so I can provide more exact
> > info if someone is interested. I just hope this is not a
> > heisen-bug.
> >
> > Best regards, Cristi

> I have a 6715b that is experiencing the same exact problem. I made a
> release from 8-CURRENT as of last night and I still see it. Just by
> chance, I installed my normal kernel (for my other amd64 machine) onto
> the ISO and re-burned and it worked (since I don't have if_bge on that
> kernel). After selectively loading/unloading modules I tracked it down
> to this.
>=20
> Has any more traction been made on the BGE issue here?
>=20
> - --
> Coleman Kane
>=20

Hello,=20

Did you run it step by step in the debugger and got the same results I
did? I haven't tried any more debugging ever since, but we can join our
forces and hopefully fix this damn issue so 7.0 won't have it on the
release errata.=20

I bet someone who's a bit more skilled in this matter can handle it in
just a few hours.=20

Any volunteers?

Best regards,
Cristi