> On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 22:34 +0200, Szymon Kozak wrote:
>> / On 10/25/07, JoaoBR >> >
>> wrote:

> />/ > > The main goal of the two technologies is the same, i.e.,
> out-of-band />/ > > server management. Both use Remote Management
> and Control Protocol />/ > > (RMCP) for the network protocol but
> ASF is implemented on NIC />/ > > firmware level while IPMI is
> implemented on baseboard management />/ > > controller (BMC). Now
> BCM57xx firmware has built-in ASF stack and />/ > > the interface
> can be shared with BMC. If there is a BMC on-board and />/ > >
> network controller is shared, obviously you cannot just reset the
> />/ > > controller, etc. You have to 'tell' the firmware that you
> are about />/ > > to do critical things, such as reset, start,
> stop, link negotiation, />/ > > etc, so that it can communicate
> with BMC beforehand. If you turn on />/ > > hw.bge.allow_asf, it
> does just that. Unfortunately, it does not work />/ > > for all
> systems in the real world because they are not created equal, />/ >
> > e.g., different spec. revisions, hardware implementations,

> firmware, />/ > > BIOS, etc. Basically some system fails *without*
> it while some />/ > > system fails *with* it. Hence, the tunable
> was necessary. At least, />/ > > that is how I understand it. />/
> > />/ > />/ > thank you, that was great />/ > />/ > but would

> really not harm to put something about resumed into the man page
> />/ > />/ />/ Hello, />/ I have the same problem, but change
> value to hw.bge.allow_asf="0" />/ doesn't work for me. />/ I have
> Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet in my ThinkPad R61. />/
> Dmesg from FreeBSD-STABLE shows: />/ />/ bge0: > BCM5754/5787 A2, ASIC rev. 0xb002> mem />/ 0xfe000000-0xfe00ffff
> irq 18 at device 0.0 on pci4 />/ />/ Here is complete dmesg:
> http://slane.pl/tmp/dmesg.txt />/ />/ Anybody know what's wrong? /
> Hello,
>
> I've tried again the latest version of if_bge.c on my HP 6710b
> laptop with no results, even after setting hw.bge.allow_asf="0".
> I've also tried with the debugger and it seems to panic when
> calling free() in device_probe_child.c (IIRC). Then I #define'd
> BUS_PROBE and the freeze occurs after displaying something like
> "devclass_alloc_unit: now: unit 0 in devclass bge".
>
> The 7 Beta 1.5 install CD hangs also when loading the driver.
>
> I have a coredump made from whithin the debugger with the exact
> place where the faulty free() occurs, so I can provide more exact
> info if someone is interested. I just hope this is not a
> heisen-bug.
>
> Best regards, Cristi

I have a 6715b that is experiencing the same exact problem. I made a
release from 8-CURRENT as of last night and I still see it. Just by
chance, I installed my normal kernel (for my other amd64 machine) onto
the ISO and re-burned and it worked (since I don't have if_bge on that
kernel). After selectively loading/unloading modules I tracked it down
to this.

Has any more traction been made on the BGE issue here?

- --
Coleman Kane