On 10/31/07, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Stephan F. Yaraghchi wrote:
> > After making world on a freshly installed 7.0-BETA1
> > the system does not boot anymore due to a broken loader:
> > [...]
> > I found out that the following line in my make.conf causes
> > the problem:
> >
> > CFLAGS=3D -O2 -funroll-loops -pipe
> >
> > After changing down to -O1 and making /usr/src/sys/boot again
> > the systems behaves properly at boot.

> Have you tried with the default flags? i.e. simply remove
> the CFLAGS line from your make.conf. Does the loader still
> break?
>
> Best regards
> Oliver
>
> PS: The default flags are: -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe
> (see /usr/share/mk/sys.mk)
>
> --
> Oliver Fromme, secnetix GmbH & Co. KG, Marktplatz 29, 85567 Grafing b. M.
> Handelsregister: Registergericht Muenchen, HRA 74606, Gesch=E4ftsfuehrun=

g:
> secnetix Verwaltungsgesellsch. mbH, Handelsregister: Registergericht M=FC=

n-
> chen, HRB 125758, Gesch=E4ftsf=FChrer: Maik Bachmann, Olaf Erb, Ralf Geb=

hart

> FreeBSD-Dienstleistungen, -Produkte und mehr: http://www.secnetix.de/bsd
>
> "Unix gives you just enough rope to hang yourself --
> and then a couple of more feet, just to be sure."
> -- Eric Allman

"

Hi Oliver,

I added -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe to the make.conf and it worked too!

Jeremy came up with a post by Josh that points out that the size of
the binary seems
to be the problem:
http://www.nabble.com/buildworld-fai...n-CFLAGS-set-=
in-make.conf)-t4674137.html

Using the default CFLAGS the resulting loader binary is 290816 Bytes,
with -O1 -funroll-loops -pipe it's 319488 Bytes and after adding
-funroll-loops to the defaults
the binary becames 323584 Bytes...

--=20
Stephan