Hi Thomas,

Thomas David Rivers wrote:
> Just wanted to report some of my results with installing
> the BETA1.5 CDs.... with a CD-ONLY install.
>
> This is on an Intel quad-core with 2G of memory, and 300G SATA
> drive and older ATAPI DVD drive (Intel DG33BU motherboard.)
>
> First; after you partition & label and choose your distributions;
> it's time to remove the "BOOTONLY" CD and place DISC1 in the
> drive. There's nothing that tells you this.. if you don't
> do this, then the process merrily fails at trying to install
> everything.. twice over. After that, you have an opportunity

Only twice ? I thought this is forever cycle
> to try and install again, putting DISC1 in the drive. I'd
> suggest a little box saying "remove the BOOTONLY CD, insert DISC1
> and press OK" when it's time to start installing the distributions.

If you have disk1 you do not need boot only CD.
You can boot from disk1 and make normal installation.
> Second - if you choose the X11 packages in the distributions;
> they don't work. The install process complains that it
> can't find packages/INDEX on either DISC1 or DISK2. I'm not
> sure how to get the X11 packages installed from a CD-only install.

Sorry can't help you here - I never use binary packages (long live ports!)
May be next big step after SMP will be fixing sysinstall
As sysinstall from unfriendly (for new users) on freebsd 3.X moves more
and more to not-working at all.
The problem is that sysinstall is not very interesting for developers
and even not so advanced sysadmins,
can leave almost without it, that's why I think sysinstall doesn't get
enough attention.

Here is my install procedure:
boot disk1
when sysinstall starts go to Custom install
create partition,label, MBR.
from distribution - go to custom again,
select kernel(s?), src, ports & base.
commit, reboot, play with /etc/make.conf
and your kernel conf
csup src and ports, buildworld/kernel/installworld, install from ports
and viola you have everything you need

It's just little more complicated if you do this over serial console
> - Dave Rivers -
>
> --
> Work: (919) 676-0847
> Get your mainframe programming tools at http://www.dignus.com