commonly used nomenclature - FreeBSD

This is a discussion on commonly used nomenclature - FreeBSD ; Hello I wonder what the commonly used nomenclature is within the field of emulators for a) The software that constitutes the emulator itself b) The software that runs on top of the emulator I hoped to find a single noun, ...

  1. commonly used nomenclature

    Hello

    I wonder what the commonly used nomenclature is within the field of
    emulators for
    a) The software that constitutes the emulator itself
    b) The software that runs on top of the emulator

    I hoped to find a single noun, so I don't have to use the rather long
    sentences as above everywhere I want to refer to one of the two
    softwares.

    Greetings

    Flo

  2. Re: commonly used nomenclature

    I should note that I alreay use the terms host and target. Host for the
    hardware system on which the emulator runs, target for the system
    beeing emulated by the emulator.

  3. Re: commonly used nomenclature

    Flo wrote:
    > I wonder what the commonly used nomenclature is within the field of
    > emulators for
    > a) The software that constitutes the emulator itself
    > b) The software that runs on top of the emulator

    WINE Is not an Emulator. It's an implementation of the Win32 and API and
    related things.
    But why don't you just call the emulator an emulator?

    Daniel

+ Reply to Thread