--oyUTqETQ0mS9luUI

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 08:55:13PM -0500, Conrad Sabatier wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 11:52:36AM -0700, Brooks Davis wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 01:35:35PM -0500, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> > > I've been exploring running Linux binaries under a chrooted Linux she=

ll
> > > (entering the environment via "chroot /compat/linux /bin/bash"). I've
> > > had remarkable success in installing and running quite a few rpms bey=

ond
> > > those found in the linux_base port, but have found that /dev support =

(as
> > > well as /proc) doesn't work as expected when running Linux apps within
> > > such an environment.
> > >=20
> > > Programs/scripts attempting to access, for example, /dev/null complain
> > > about no such file or device. The same for /dev/ttyX, /dev/zero, etc.
> > >=20
> > > Similar problems occur attempting to use /proc/*. I'm also experienc=

ing
> > > some networking problems, mainly with DNS resolution, but for now, my
> > > main concern is /dev and /proc.
> > >
> > > I realize that the method I'm using for running Linux apps is not what
> > > was intended with FreeBSD's Linux emulation mode, but it's interesting
> > > enough that I want to continue delving into it. My goal is to have as
> > > near-complete a working Linux environment as possible, one that would
> > > support running practically any Linux app within this chrooted
> > > environment and would, for all intents and purposes, appear as a "rea=

l"
> > > Linux to any programs running within it.
> > >=20
> > > Are there any suggestions as to how I might remedy some of these
> > > problems? Or is this simply beyond the scope/capabilities of the Lin=

ux
> > > emulator at this time?

> >=20
> > You can provide a fairly complete linux /proc with linprocfs.

>=20
> Yes, I am using linprocfs. But even so, certain parts are either missing=

=20
> or not working properly.

If you know what you need, it may be possiable to implement. Given that
StarOffice and Java run I wouldn't think there could be that much left
that a sane process could need.

> > For the moment, you can also make
> > nodes like /dev/null and /dev/zero with mknod, but I believe that
> > functionality will be going away.

>=20
> I've tried doing that, but the devices still don't function properly. I'=

ve=20
> installed Linux's MAKEDEV package as well (into the chrooted environment)=

,=20
> and even with all the devices being created by the package's install scri=

pt,=20
> they still don't work.

If you use Linux's MAKEDEV to make them your 100% certain to fail. They
need to be FreeBSD devices, not Linux ones.

-- Brooks

--=20
PGP fingerprint 655D 519C 26A7 82E7 2529 9BF0 5D8E 8BE9 F238 1AD4

--oyUTqETQ0mS9luUI

--oyUTqETQ0mS9luUI--