I've been exploring running Linux binaries under a chrooted Linux shell
(entering the environment via "chroot /compat/linux /bin/bash"). I've
had remarkable success in installing and running quite a few rpms beyond
those found in the linux_base port, but have found that /dev support (as
well as /proc) doesn't work as expected when running Linux apps within
such an environment.

Programs/scripts attempting to access, for example, /dev/null complain
about no such file or device. The same for /dev/ttyX, /dev/zero, etc.

Similar problems occur attempting to use /proc/*. I'm also experiencing
some networking problems, mainly with DNS resolution, but for now, my
main concern is /dev and /proc.

I realize that the method I'm using for running Linux apps is not what
was intended with FreeBSD's Linux emulation mode, but it's interesting
enough that I want to continue delving into it. My goal is to have as
near-complete a working Linux environment as possible, one that would
support running practically any Linux app within this chrooted
environment and would, for all intents and purposes, appear as a "real"
Linux to any programs running within it.

Are there any suggestions as to how I might remedy some of these
problems? Or is this simply beyond the scope/capabilities of the Linux
emulator at this time?

--
Conrad J. Sabatier -- "In Unix veritas"