That's right - it's the Master/Media functionality I'm trying to get
working under emulation. I've tried under FreeBSD 4.10, and that
doesn't get close to working. FreeBSD 5's emulation is much better.

I don't actually want to back up the FreeBSD machine itself- so I don't
really care which client is on there. I have the feeling it would not
be possible to have the Linux Masted/Media and the FreeBSD client
co-existing on the same machine anyway, as the components share binaries
and libraries that have to be at the same location on the file system.

I suppose one way round this would be to use VmWare for Linux on the
FreeBSD host, and run NetBackup under this in a "real" Linux
environment, but that seems very messy.