Randy, a few things that may help you.

The license key installed at
/usr/local/lib/vmware/licenses/user/license.ws.3.0
isn't sufficient to run the port correctly. Mine still
has the permissions you noted and it doesn't make
a difference to the port. You'll need a legitimate
license with the same name under ~/.vmware for
things to run properly. THAT one in my install
has permissions 744.

I'm running a psm mouse (/dev/psm0) on my I8K
Dell laptop. I've got it configured with moused and
used in X via /dev/sysmouse. I found that the
mouse device in vmware should be configured as
PS/2 with "Autodetect" checked. Sound works
if I tell it to use /dev/dsp and ethernet is configured
as "Custom" using device /dev/vmnet1 so that
I can do host mode. I can access the cdrom when
I configure it to access /dev/acd0a and have no
issues with it.

The configuration wizard will indeed crash if you
start it from the menu. If you start it directly as
/usr/local/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-wizard it does
not crash.

This should get you past a couple more of your
issues with the software. ;-)

Sean