I've ended up with a SmartLink PCI softmodem (SmartPCI561). SmartLink
provide some drivers for Linux which apparently are quite good at

This comes as some source code and some object files with needs to
compiled against a kernel source tree - which looks simple enough on Linux.

I have the linux_base port installed on FreeBSD 4.9. I don't have a
Linux kernel source tree, but is it just a matter of compiling against
the Linux kernel source and linking the Linux libraries?

Even assuming it does compile, what are the chances of it actually working?

And yes, I know its quicker and easier to buy something else, and lots
of people don't like softmodems etc etc. That's not the point :-) Can
it work??