I have been attempting to make Dantz's Retrospect Linux client run
under FreeBSD 4.9. It pretty much just "works" as long as you add a
/compat/linux/etc/mtab file. The drawback is that only /compat/linux is
backed up! Since this is the way it is supposed to work under FreeBSD,
we have a problem with a backup application. Ideally you would like to
back up from FreeBSD's notion of / and not Linux's. The only idea I can
come up with is to make the FreeBSD file system available to Linux via
some mount point. The restore operation will be tricky but this is a
start. Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks,
Greg