On Sat, 24 Sep 2005, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

>> Are there any active torrents for FreeBSD ISOs?
>>
>> I used torrent file as found via FreeBSD 5.4 announcement. But for
>> over 30 minutes ctorrent timed out attempting to retrieve it.
>>
>> I had used it with great success and speed in May.

> Torrents are really only useful for files that a lot of people want to
> download at the same time. There's just no reason to keep it going now.
> [Not that I have any specific knowledge about whether the seeder is
> still running.]

Thanks for the response. That is what I was thinking.

I am teaching a class and hoped to cover version 6.0 but when
6.0-BETA4-i386-bootonly.iso failed on my laptop due to some vr0 LOR error
(I found was already known[1] but not in a PR and I don't know if it is
fixed), I realized that I shouldn't use it since I can't test the hardware
in my classroom ahead of time.

And I read that 5.5 was to be released in September but no other news. So
decided to download 5.4 release again. Anyways, I got the ISO after an
hour or so.

Maybe FreeBSD could provide torrent "servers" that are always running just
in case that someone attempts it? (I don't know a lot about torrent
though, but I assume that that is doable.)

Jeremy C. Reed
http://www.reedmedia.net/

[1] http://sources.zabbadoz.net/freebsd/lor.html