Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Bill Moran writes:
>
>>Robert Watson wrote:

>>>Fear the world in which WEP is considered a effective deterrant :-).

>>Fear then. For that is currently the world we live in!

> WEP is sufficiently insecure that if and when I get around to using
> wireless at home, I'll need to firewall the wireless net heavily in
> any case. I may just leave it without WEP for the convenience of
> occasional visitors (as long as I don't notice strangers hopping onto
> it much).

It's a trade-off ... like most security situations. I currently know of
no situations that are secured to my liking. The ridiculous rules I
try to enforce always seem to go over the convenience threshold and get
shot down.

That's OK. I get paid to fix things after they're cracked. And if "I
told them so", then I don't bother to feel bad about it.

However, the number of users I know whose password is "password" is
unnerving, to say the least.

And ... as far as I'm concerned, WEP is _completly_ insecure, and totally
worthless.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies