Some of those networks you came across may have been left insecure
intentionally. I know there's a list of Wi-Fi networks that are "open to
the public" for travelers or commuters (but I don't recall where). Some
people even like to advertise. http://www.warchalking.org/

If I ever take my home wireless, I will probably start out with an insecure
network. I just think it would be interesting to see if anybody could
benefit from it. Of course, I doubt there are many wireless computer users
around here, but I think it would be an interesting experience
nonetheless. And I'll be sure to chalk up the sidewalks appropriately. ;-)

Besides, as frustrating as it is the get WEP from multiple vendors working
on a network, I can easily understand the appeal of "open wireless."