On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 12:51:33PM +0100, Paul Robinson wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 12:35:53PM +0100, Peter McGarvey wrote:
>
> > * Paul Robinson [2003-06-26 12:04:33 BST]:
> > > awk - encourage people to port their code away from awk. Big.

> > Does anyone actually USE awk?

> Yes.
>
> > Other than to filter columns that is.

> That's exactly what it's used for. I haven't seen anybody use awk for more
> than a command line `awk '{print $4, $6}'` in years. I know one guy who uses
> it for other stuff, and he's moving it all to perl anyway. If we were to
> write a 'colprint' command that would do the same thing, most people would
> not notice the difference if it went.

Thats not true, I still use awk because its _there_, its not bloated
and does for smaller things exactly what I want.

Perl is nice, but why should I use something bloated, when a tool
with a smaller memory footprint does the job well ?

Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm - Powered by FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE
Need a magic printfilter today ? -> http://www.apsfilter.org/