Paul Robinson wrote:
> There are at most half a dozen apps that require the retention of the
> current GPL implementation. The rest can either be rm'ed (nobody uses them),
> replaced with BSD licensed versions, or moved out to ports. Awk can be moved
> to non-GPL just by MFC'ing a change already in -CURRENT.

I'm pretty sure that any of these changes (if so) would be made in 5.x
or possibly 6.x, but certainly not 4.x. In case of awk, there are
compatibility issues too.

I would ask you not to consider 4.x as a reference platform. Use 5.x

> The effort to do
> all this is relatively small. I'd do it, you wouldn't notice, but I don't
> (as you know) have any ability to make those changes. But why the hostility
> towards doing it? I know this has the whiff of a bikeshed about it, but to
> me it makes sense. Perhaps I'm missing something...

No hostility I'm sure but merely the statement that degnuification is
not as much of an issue as you'd like it to be.

Dean C. Strik Eindhoven University of Technology | |
"This isn't right. This isn't even wrong." -- Wolfgang Pauli