On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 10:19:05PM +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> Here is my proposed new timeout API for 8.x.

remaining limited to the client API, I have the following questions:

> /*
> * A duration of time, represented in the optimal way for a given provider
> * or family of providers (ie: per cpu).
> */
> typedef int timeout_time;

is this meant to be parsable by client code, or should it be
opaque (even though of known size) ?

> /*
> * Flag values,
> * can be used as return from the function or as argument to timeout_arm()
> */
> #define TIMEOUT_REARM (1<<0)

any reason not to use an enum for these ?

> /*
> * Convert various human compatible time-units to internal units
> * Since these are potentially expensive (as in multiple integer divisions)
> * caching the return value is adviced for heavy use.
> * Choice of function indicates level of precision requested, so
> * timeout_ms_time(1000) may be different from timeout_s_time(1), depending
> * on the implementation.
> */
> timeout_time timeout_ns_time(struct timeout_p *, unsigned nsec);
> timeout_time timeout_us_time(struct timeout_p *, unsigned usec);
> timeout_time timeout_ms_time(struct timeout_p *, unsigned msec);
> timeout_time timeout_s_time(struct timeout_p *, unsigned sec);

Two questions here:
1. is there any need for the first argument not to be const ?
If all the function do is a conversion, there shouldn't be any
need to modify the timeout_p

2. I fully agree that the precision level should be a user-supplied
parameter, but wonder whether ns/us/ms/s is really the set of
precisions one might want. I could see a need for at least the
following requests:

"as accurate as possible"
"one timecounter tick accuracy, whatever the tick is"
"one timer tick (1/HZ) accuracy, whatever the tick is"
"
So how about moving to a slightly different API to convert timeouts
back and forth between Human and Internal representation e.g

timeout_time timeout_UtoI(const struct timeout_p *,
int units, enum timeout_precision);

with
enum timeout_precision {
TP_NANOSECOND, TP_MICROSECOND, TP_MILLISECOND, TP_SECOND,
TP_DEFAULT, /* default: units is us */
TP_HIGHEST, /* highest possible; units is in ns */
TP_TIMECOUNTER, /* one timecounter tick */
TP_TIMECOUNTER, /* one timecounter tick */
}

The 'unit' argument is in whatever unit applies to the precision,
i.e. ns, us, ms, ticks, ... when obvious, or we need to specify
a suitable value for TP_DEFAULT and TP_HIGHEST

We might also make use of the inverse conversion, something like

int timeout_ItoU(const struct timeout_p *,
timeout_time t, enum timeout_precision);

cheers
luigi