In message <18378.1196596684@critter.freebsd.dk>, "Poul-Henning Kamp" writes:

>> o TCP has hot and cold CPU/cache affinity.
>>
>> -> The timer facility should provide strong, weak and "don't care"
>> CPU affinity. The affinity should be selected for a timer as
>> whole, not upon each call.

>That is the "timeout_p" you pass into timeout_init() is for.
>
>What values we will provide there is not decided, apart from NULL
>meaning "whatever..."

I guess I need to elaborate that point some more:

If we want CPU affinity, what happens that that we pass a per-cpu
timeout provider:

timeout_init(&pcpu->timouts, ...)

If we want a private timeout group for NFS we pass that in:

timeout_init(&nfs_timeouts, ...)

Think of the implmentation of the timeouts as an object of which we
can have multiple instances with various private properties...

phk@FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe