Hi,

This is something I've been persuing on the freebsd-questions
and seemed to run into a brick wall of non-answers... So I'd like
to pick it up here since it was something PHK spoke about about a
year ago...

The problem is the /dev/console+kernel WHATEVER that outputs
to syslog as "kernel:".

Sendmail is sending out alot of "SYSERR" that get logged as
mail.err . I have the following syslog :

*.err;kern.debug;auth.notice;mail.crit /dev/console
*.emerg *
*.debug /var/log/spool

So what happens is a normal message gets logged to the
console and goes to /var/log/spool, then the /dev/console+kernel
hack end up re-processing it as a "kernel:" message. Its basically
constantly triggering my syslog scanner which emails me a
few thousand times a day...

Anyone know how to write to the console WITHOUT this
happening, or without syslog repeating it? Does anyone see
any problems/issues/concerns with re-writing the first line
to be :

*.err;kern.debug;auth.notice;mail.crit /dev/ttyv0

Thanks, Tuc