On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 04:38:23PM -0400, Garance A Drosehn wrote:
> This strikes me as a worthwhile idea. Leave the device-
> entries in /dev as they are now, but then create some
> sub-directories which would hold the more arbitrary (or
> "non-sanitized") names.
> /dev/info/disk/serial-num
> or /dev/info/geom/whatever
>
> etc. That way there's only one new entry in /dev, and
> people could just de-permit that directory (or turn the
> feature off) if they didn't want or need to have that
> extra info available.

Picking a semi-random message to reply to, I seem to recall Solaris
has a separate /devices filesystem for this: all entries are dynamic,
so the filesystem is strictly readonly from a userland point of view.
In our case, we would have quite a lot of overlap with devinfo, but it
could still be something to keep in mind.

Andrea

--
Loose bits sink chips.