On Sat, 2005-Sep-24 15:25:06 +0200, Max Laier wrote:
>for some time now, we have three bridge implementations in the tree:
> - net/bridge.c - the "old" bridge
> - net/if_bridge.c - the "new" bridge from Net/OpenBSD
> - netgraph/ng_bridge.c - the netgraph version [1]
>
>The new code has several advantages over the old version:
> - Spanning Tree Protocol (802.1D)
> - better firewall support (IPv6, stateful filtering, ...)
> - easy ifconfig(8) configuration

Since I've recently needed it, neither bridge.c nor if_bridge.c allow
you to bridge VLAN trunks (you can bridge individual VLANs but that
becomes unwieldly when you have dozens of VLANs). I have code to do
this in bridge.c.

>and would have to do it twice, for example) I would like to retire the old
>bridge code soon. This should happen in HEAD only and thus the old bridge
>will stay for all of FreeBSD 6 unless more aggressive depreciation is
>requested.

Since if_bridge.c does not exist in FreeBSD 5, and there has not
previously been any suggestion that bridge.c is deprecated, I would
object to the removal of bridge.c from FreeBSD 6 since this would
violate the standard deprecation cycle.

>Please test the new alternative if you are using the old one still.

Has anyone looked at how difficult it would be to get if_bridge.c to
work in 5.x?

--
Peter Jeremy