In message <20050314024439.G20708@mail.chesapeake.net>, Jeff Roberson writes:

>Comments? Other proposals? I'd like to get this sorted out for 6.0. I
>may come up with some interim solution for RELENG_5 because the vrele
>problem has caused deadlocks there.

I agree that the vn_start_write() thing is not a Good Thing and it would
certainly be desirable to get the entire snapshot thing into UFS/FFS
where it belongs.

Without digging through the entire issue, I would tend to lean towards
the "catch them in the vop_*() which write" model on general principles.

phk@FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe