open source web proxy suggestions ? - Firewalls

This is a discussion on open source web proxy suggestions ? - Firewalls ; HI all. Okay, so I have a linux box connected to the internet (static ip). I want to be able to access my linux box from anywhere via http or https (using my browser) and see a page which asks ...

  1. open source web proxy suggestions ?

    HI all.

    Okay, so I have a linux box connected to the internet (static ip). I
    want to be able to access my linux box from anywhere via http or https
    (using my browser) and see a page which asks me to enter a URL within
    a page.

    so if i type www.hotmail.com within this page, it should login to
    hotmail etc..etc.. for me indirectly. just tryign to bypass some
    firewalls.

    i want to know what open source software lets me do this for linux

    thx
    vikky

  2. Re: open source web proxy suggestions ?

    On Sep 27, 8:57 pm, vikky999 wrote:
    > HI all.
    >
    > Okay, so I have a linux box connected to the internet (static ip). I
    > want to be able to access my linux box from anywhere via http or https
    > (using my browser) and see a page which asks me to enter a URL within
    > a page.
    >
    > so if i typewww.hotmail.comwithin this page, it should login to
    > hotmail etc..etc.. for me indirectly. just tryign to bypass some
    > firewalls.
    >
    > i want to know what open source software lets me do this for linux
    >
    > thx
    > vikky

    vikky, if you can log into ssh from the remote location you could use
    privoxy as your proxy and just set your web browser to use
    127.0.0.1:8118 as the proxy.

    You would ssh to your home like

    ssh -L 8118:127.0.0.1:8118 vikky@vikkys.home.com

    That would port forward your proxy traffic to your remote box.

    ---------------------------------------
    I do believe there is a socks proxy built into ssh as well you may
    want to check the man page.
    I would also suggest installing a plugin such as foxyproxy, or
    switchproxy to quickly switch between the two (it will be necessary if
    you have to access any intranet sites.)

  3. Re: open source web proxy suggestions ?

    thankyou !!
    that worked nicely

+ Reply to Thread