Problems with Norton firewall settings - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Problems with Norton firewall settings - Firewalls ; A friend of mine has a desktop computer with WinXPpro and Norton Protection Center with antivirus and some firewall built in. Recently he bought a laptop with VistaPremium installed on it and now he would like to use a printer ...

  1. Problems with Norton firewall settings

    A friend of mine has a desktop computer with WinXPpro and Norton
    Protection Center with antivirus and some firewall built in. Recently
    he bought a laptop with VistaPremium installed on it and now he would
    like to use a printer which is connected to the desktop computer. The
    connection between both computers goes through a wifi modem/router.
    The desktop is wired to the router and the laptop uses wifi. I can see
    the laptop in the View Workgroup Computers but I cannot see the
    desktop machine from the laptop so I can't get to the printer. From
    the laptop's Network window I can only see the icon of the laptop and
    when I get to Network and Sharing Center I can only see the laptop
    connected to the router and further to the Internet and that's it. My
    guess is the inbound firewall from Norton product is not allowing the
    connection. But there is no way or at least I don't know of any to
    change its settings. My friend doesn't want to have the access from
    the desktop computer to the laptop but only the other way round just
    to get to the printer.
    Does anyone know what's the solution to this problem?
    yaro

  2. Re: Problems with Norton firewall settings

    wrote in message
    news:1188144916.898924.79040@g4g2000hsf.googlegrou ps.com...
    >A friend of mine has a desktop computer with WinXPpro and Norton
    > Protection Center with antivirus and some firewall built in. Recently
    > he bought a laptop with VistaPremium installed on it and now he would
    > like to use a printer which is connected to the desktop computer. The
    > connection between both computers goes through a wifi modem/router.
    > The desktop is wired to the router and the laptop uses wifi. I can see
    > the laptop in the View Workgroup Computers but I cannot see the
    > desktop machine from the laptop so I can't get to the printer. From
    > the laptop's Network window I can only see the icon of the laptop and
    > when I get to Network and Sharing Center I can only see the laptop
    > connected to the router and further to the Internet and that's it. My
    > guess is the inbound firewall from Norton product is not allowing the
    > connection. But there is no way or at least I don't know of any to
    > change its settings. My friend doesn't want to have the access from
    > the desktop computer to the laptop but only the other way round just
    > to get to the printer.
    > Does anyone know what's the solution to this problem?

    I have him get a wire printserver and plug it into a LAN port on the router.
    The wired and wireless machines can use the printer, without the need of
    accessing one or the other computer. Of course the software for the
    printserver that should be installed on both computers should be Vista and
    XP compatible.

  3. Re: Problems with Norton firewall settings

    yaro137@googlemail.com wrote:
    [Norton InSecurity]
    > Does anyone know what's the solution to this problem?

    Yes. Remove it. If this does not work (common with this stuff), flatten
    and rebuild.

    Hopefully, removing will work.

    Yours,
    VB.
    --
    "Es muss darauf geachtet werden, dass das Grundgesetz nicht mit Methoden
    geschützt wird, die seinem Ziel und seinem Geist zuwider sind."

    Gustav Heinemann, "Freimütige Kritik und demokratischer Rechtsstaat"

  4. Re: Problems with Norton firewall settings

    On Aug 27, 4:41 am, Volker Birk wrote:
    > yaro...@googlemail.com wrote:
    >
    > [Norton InSecurity]
    >
    > > Does anyone know what's the solution to this problem?

    > Yes. Remove it. If this does not work (common with this stuff), flatten
    > and rebuild.
    >
    > Hopefully, removing will work.
    >
    > Yours,
    > VB.

    As far as I know it's not that easy to remove Norton products from
    your system.
    Besides my friend paid for that software so he wouldn't like to just
    get rid of
    it. I know that buying another printer with a network interface would
    solve the
    problem however, there must be a way to use the one he already has.
    yaro

  5. Re: Problems with Norton firewall settings

    wrote in message
    news:1188144916.898924.79040@g4g2000hsf.googlegrou ps.com...
    > Does anyone know what's the solution to this problem?

    The retail version of Norton can play havoc with your pc. Uninstall it using
    Norton's own uninstall tool
    and get a refund
    As suggested on the site, you may wish to print out the directions before
    proceeding.

    If this doesn't work use this:
    http://www.revouninstaller.com/

    While Norton's removal tool usually gets the job done, you may also want to
    go to:
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html
    and download a copy of winsockxpfix just in case. Rarely, the removal of NIS
    breaks the networking components in XP to the point where internet access is
    impossible. This little utility will fix it back up.

    Good luck

  6. Re: Problems with Norton firewall settings

    yaro137@googlemail.com wrote:
    > Besides my friend paid for that software so he wouldn't like to just
    > get rid of

    Because he payed for pain, of course he doesn't want to miss the pain
    he payed for. Aha. I understand.

    Maybe you want to tell me the address of your friend, so I could offer a
    small selection of lashes, too?

    Yours,
    VB.
    --
    "Es muss darauf geachtet werden, dass das Grundgesetz nicht mit Methoden
    geschützt wird, die seinem Ziel und seinem Geist zuwider sind."

    Gustav Heinemann, "Freimütige Kritik und demokratischer Rechtsstaat"

  7. Re: Problems with Norton firewall settings

    yaro137@googlemail.com wrote:
    > A friend of mine has a desktop computer with WinXPpro and Norton
    > Protection Center with antivirus and some firewall built in. Recently
    > he bought a laptop with VistaPremium installed on it and now he would
    > like to use a printer which is connected to the desktop computer. The
    > connection between both computers goes through a wifi modem/router.
    > The desktop is wired to the router and the laptop uses wifi. I can see
    > the laptop in the View Workgroup Computers but I cannot see the
    > desktop machine from the laptop so I can't get to the printer. From
    > the laptop's Network window I can only see the icon of the laptop and
    > when I get to Network and Sharing Center I can only see the laptop
    > connected to the router and further to the Internet and that's it. My
    > guess is the inbound firewall from Norton product is not allowing the
    > connection. But there is no way or at least I don't know of any to
    > change its settings. My friend doesn't want to have the access from
    > the desktop computer to the laptop but only the other way round just
    > to get to the printer.
    > Does anyone know what's the solution to this problem?
    > yaro

    The best thing I did was to take the advice of people in this group and
    uninstall Norton Internet Security from my computer. A host of problems
    went away.

    David A.

+ Reply to Thread