firewall - ports - never attached !!! - Firewalls

This is a discussion on firewall - ports - never attached !!! - Firewalls ; Hallo I know that we have 65000 ports I read that attaches and intruders are from everywhere when connected my Atguard firewall has only 12 (twelve) ports controlled I used 56kb conecction for 7 years (since 1996) and now adsl ...

  1. firewall - ports - never attached !!!

    Hallo

    I know that we have 65000 ports

    I read that attaches and intruders are from everywhere
    when connected

    my Atguard firewall has only 12 (twelve) ports controlled

    I used 56kb conecction for 7 years (since 1996)
    and now adsl for 4 years (since 2003).
    Every day, for about 1 hour .

    I never had an attach / intrusion / virus on my machine :
    that is Windos 98 SE, IExplorer 5.5 ,
    never Javascript or Flash enabled .

    How is it possible? Am I the most lucky person on earth?

  2. Re: firewall - ports - never attached !!!

    urso wrote:
    > I know that we have 65000 ports

    You're wrong. A port is not a door or a gate, and not a harbour. It's
    just a 16bit maintenance number, which includes that there are 65536
    different numbers for ports. Usually, the 0 has special meaning, that
    makes 65535 numbers in address space.

    > I never had an attach / intrusion / virus on my machine :
    > How is it possible? Am I the most lucky person on earth?

    You're one of the many people, who don't understand and don't recognize
    real attacks.

    Yours,
    VB.
    --
    "Es muss darauf geachtet werden, dass das Grundgesetz nicht mit Methoden
    geschützt wird, die seinem Ziel und seinem Geist zuwider sind."

    Gustav Heinemann, "Freimütige Kritik und demokratischer Rechtsstaat"

  3. Re: firewall - ports - never attached !!!

    On 19 Jul 2007 18:53:45 +0200, Volker Birk wrote:

    >urso wrote:
    >> I know that we have 65000 ports

    >You're wrong. A port is not a door or a gate, and not a harbour. It's
    >just a 16bit maintenance number, which includes that there are 65536
    >different numbers for ports. Usually, the 0 has special meaning, that
    >makes 65535 numbers in address space.
    >
    >> I never had an attach / intrusion / virus on my machine :
    >> How is it possible? Am I the most lucky person on earth?

    >You're one of the many people, who don't understand and don't recognize
    >real attacks.

    What attacks and threats and problems consist of
    if in 11 years I had no problem on my PC
    and in my life (bank accout never emptied, no menace...)?

+ Reply to Thread