Firewall recommendation? - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Firewall recommendation? - Firewalls ; I'm looking for a small footprint, low resource, firewall. I use NOD32 and SuperAntiSpyware. I have a wireless NAT router. I use Firefox most of the time but I need to use Outlook on a regular basis. I also use ...

  1. Firewall recommendation?

    I'm looking for a small footprint, low resource, firewall.

    I use NOD32 and SuperAntiSpyware. I have a wireless NAT router.

    I use Firefox most of the time but I need to use Outlook on
    a regular basis. I also use IE whenever FF wont play
    something, can't load it, etc.

    Comodo messed up my machine for reasons I don't understand
    but I had to reinstall Outlook etc. - don't want to try that
    again.

    TIA

    Louise

  2. Re: Firewall recommendation?

    Did you contact Comodo forums for help?
    http://forums.comodo.com/

    Just curious. I use Comodo with DSL ATT/Yahoo and have had some
    problems with their app "resetting" my IP (I am on dynamic with
    ATT/Yahoo).

    I will be posting another question in this group about another
    problem.

    On Sat, 12 May 2007 00:35:32 -0400, louise
    wrote:

    >I'm looking for a small footprint, low resource, firewall.
    >
    >I use NOD32 and SuperAntiSpyware. I have a wireless NAT router.
    >
    >I use Firefox most of the time but I need to use Outlook on
    >a regular basis. I also use IE whenever FF wont play
    >something, can't load it, etc.
    >
    >Comodo messed up my machine for reasons I don't understand
    >but I had to reinstall Outlook etc. - don't want to try that
    >again.
    >
    >TIA
    >
    >Louise

  3. Re: Firewall recommendation?

    wrote:

    >I'm looking for a small footprint, low resource, firewall.

    The build-in packet filter in XP SP2 (called the windows firewall)
    already meet your criteria.

    >I use NOD32 and SuperAntiSpyware. I have a wireless NAT router.

    If your wireless conection is secured (strongly encrypted) you are
    probably pretty well off.

    >I use Firefox most of the time but I need to use Outlook on
    >a regular basis. I also use IE whenever FF wont play
    >something, can't load it, etc.

    Is there a specific reason why you need to use Outlook?

    >Comodo messed up my machine for reasons I don't understand
    >but I had to reinstall Outlook etc. - don't want to try that
    >again.

    No problem. You don't need illusionware anyway.

  4. Re: Firewall recommendation?

    "louise" wrote in message
    > I'm looking for a small footprint, low resource, firewall.

    I have watched you travel to the Moon and back trying all the PFW(s).
    What's the deal with that?

    Why don't you just use the XP FW. You just make sure to look for any new
    Exception rules being made if you install software.

    > I use NOD32 and SuperAntiSpyware. I have a wireless NAT router.

    I don't know about the SAS thing, but NOD and the NAT router are good, but I
    can't say much about the wireless

    > I use Firefox most of the time but I need to use Outlook on a regular
    > basis.

    I used Outlook to for emails, but I always have a proxy mail client sitting
    in front of Outlook. Outlook never sent or received emails on it own, so
    that I could catch dubious emails at the ISP so that they never reached the
    machine.

    I even use the proxy in front of Windows Mail on Vista.

    > I also use IE whenever FF wont play something, can't load it, etc.

    That's ok.

    > Comodo messed up my machine for reasons I don't understand but I had to
    > reinstall Outlook etc. - don't want to try that again.

    That's too bad.

    > Louise

  5. Re: Firewall recommendation?

    Straight Talk (aka B. Nice) wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 May 2007 00:35:32 -0400, louise
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I'm looking for a small footprint, low resource, firewall.

    > The build-in packet filter in XP SP2 (called the windows firewall)
    > already meet your criteria.
    >
    >> I use NOD32 and SuperAntiSpyware. I have a wireless NAT router.

    > If your wireless conection is secured (strongly encrypted) you are
    > probably pretty well off.
    >
    >> I use Firefox most of the time but I need to use Outlook on
    >> a regular basis. I also use IE whenever FF wont play
    >> something, can't load it, etc.

    > Is there a specific reason why you need to use Outlook?
    >
    >> Comodo messed up my machine for reasons I don't understand
    >> but I had to reinstall Outlook etc. - don't want to try that
    >> again.

    > No problem. You don't need illusionware anyway.

    I need to use Outlook to work with my Palm and then sync
    back and forth with work. I also use it as a PIM and find
    it quite friendly for reminding me and keeping appointments
    and doing all those nice chores.

    Louise

  6. Re: Firewall recommendation?

    On May 13, 12:17 am, louise wrote:
    > Straight Talk (aka B. Nice) wrote:
    >

    > > On Sat, 12 May 2007 00:35:32 -0400, louise
    > > wrote:

    > >> I'm looking for a small footprint, low resource, firewall.

    > > The build-in packet filter in XP SP2 (called the windows firewall)
    > > already meet your criteria.

    > >> I use NOD32 and SuperAntiSpyware. I have a wireless NAT router.

    > > If your wireless conection is secured (strongly encrypted) you are
    > > probably pretty well off.

    > >> I use Firefox most of the time but I need to use Outlook on
    > >> a regular basis. I also use IE whenever FF wont play
    > >> something, can't load it, etc.

    > > Is there a specific reason why you need to use Outlook?

    > >> Comodo messed up my machine for reasons I don't understand
    > >> but I had to reinstall Outlook etc. - don't want to try that
    > >> again.

    > > No problem. You don't need illusionware anyway.

    > I need to use Outlook to work with my Palm and then sync
    > back and forth with work. I also use it as a PIM and find
    > it quite friendly for reminding me and keeping appointments
    > and doing all those nice chores.
    >
    > Louise- Hide quoted text -

    Louise,

    If you are on an encrypted wireless, you're pretty safe, and if your
    XPSP2 firewall is turned on, you're almost as safe as needed....

    Running Comodo or ZoneAlarm can help but really only if you're fluent
    in firewalls, they can get 'fat' and have too many rules, then you
    can't even surf... which will lead to you cursing alot, and blaming
    something... it happens....

    You might just leave well enough alone.... being behind a NAT router,
    you're hidden to a large extent, turn on your XP firewall and you're
    pretty well off...

    I use AVG, aVast, LavaSoft, and SpyBot... never had a problem with
    them....

    as for a firewall, I like WatchGuard and SonicWall firewalls...

    RedForeman

+ Reply to Thread