Comodo reports acrobat, dreamweaver try to connect internet? why - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Comodo reports acrobat, dreamweaver try to connect internet? why - Firewalls ; Dear all: I install a Comodo, a free firewall. Comodo reports acrobat, dreamweaver and even other products try to connect internet, parent is explore. I think these software is not the network ones. They are not supposed to do that. ...

  1. Comodo reports acrobat, dreamweaver try to connect internet? why

    Dear all:

    I install a Comodo, a free firewall. Comodo reports acrobat,
    dreamweaver and even other products try to connect internet, parent is
    explore.

    I think these software is not the network ones. They are not supposed
    to do that. Why they still try to connect internet?

    Thanks.

    Z. Du.

  2. Re: Comodo reports acrobat, dreamweaver try to connect internet?why

    duzhidian@gmail.com wrote:

    > I install a Comodo, a free firewall. Comodo reports acrobat,
    > dreamweaver and even other products try to connect internet, parent is
    > explore.
    >
    > I think these software is not the network ones. They are not supposed
    > to do that. Why they still try to connect internet?

    They're possible supposed to do that. Check your configuration.

    And please, get rid of this Comodo thingie.

  3. Re: Comodo reports acrobat, dreamweaver try to connect internet? why

    wrote in message
    news:1178572731.922120.15980@p77g2000hsh.googlegro ups.com...
    > Dear all:
    >
    > I install a Comodo, a free firewall. Comodo reports acrobat,
    > dreamweaver and even other products try to connect internet, parent is
    > explore.
    >
    > I think these software is not the network ones. They are not supposed
    > to do that. Why they still try to connect internet?
    >

    > Thanks.
    >
    > Z. Du.

    Auto update checks? Yes they do. Newer versions use a version of FLEXnet
    from macrovision for licensing. This runs at startup and if deleted is
    created again. You might see it using Task Manager called
    FNPLicensingService.

  4. Re: Comodo reports acrobat, dreamweaver try to connect internet? why

    On May 7, 5:18 pm, "duzhid...@gmail.com" wrote:
    > Dear all:
    >
    > I install a Comodo, a free firewall. Comodo reports acrobat,
    > dreamweaver and even other products try to connect internet, parent is
    > explore.
    >
    > I think these software is not the network ones. They are not supposed
    > to do that. Why they still try to connect internet?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Z. Du.

    All software has a mechanism to check for updates, either by a
    timestamp, or an event... either it does it automatically, or you
    initiate it...

    RedForeman

  5. Re: Comodo reports acrobat, dreamweaver try to connect internet? why

    On May 7, 4:49 pm, "Jbob" wrote:
    > wrote in message
    >
    > news:1178572731.922120.15980@p77g2000hsh.googlegro ups.com...
    >
    > > Dear all:

    > > I install a Comodo, a free firewall. Comodo reports acrobat,
    > > dreamweaver and even other products try to connect internet, parent is
    > > explore.

    > > I think these software is not the network ones. They are not supposed
    > > to do that. Why they still try to connect internet?

    > > Thanks.

    > > Z. Du.

    > Auto update checks? Yes they do. Newer versions use a version of FLEXnet
    > from macrovision for licensing. This runs at startup and if deleted is
    > created again. You might see it using Task Manager calledFNPLicensingService.

    what does service do? does it report to adobe serials, activation
    information and all that stuff?

  6. Re: Comodo reports acrobat, dreamweaver try to connect internet? why

    On May 8, 7:59 am, RedForeman wrote:
    > On May 7, 5:18 pm, "duzhid...@gmail.com" wrote:
    >
    > > Dear all:

    > > I install a Comodo, a free firewall. Comodo reports acrobat,
    > > dreamweaver and even other products try to connect internet, parent is
    > > explore.

    > > I think these software is not the network ones. They are not supposed
    > > to do that. Why they still try to connect internet?

    > > Thanks.

    > > Z. Du.

    > All software has a mechanism to check for updates, either by a
    > timestamp, or an event... either it does it automatically, or you
    > initiate it...
    >
    > RedForeman

    but why run the serivce if you can just initiate it yourself. running
    more and more services on a pc just boggs it down. and do we really
    know that this is all its doing?

  7. Re: Comodo reports acrobat, dreamweaver try to connect internet? why

    bull****_id@yahoo.com wrote:
    > On May 8, 7:59 am, RedForeman wrote:
    >> On May 7, 5:18 pm, "duzhid...@gmail.com" wrote:
    >>> I install a Comodo, a free firewall. Comodo reports acrobat,
    >>> dreamweaver and even other products try to connect internet, parent
    >>> is explore.
    >>>
    >>> I think these software is not the network ones. They are not
    >>> supposed to do that. Why they still try to connect internet?

    >> All software has a mechanism to check for updates, either by a
    >> timestamp, or an event... either it does it automatically, or you
    >> initiate it...

    An increasing number of programs incorporates update mechanisms, but
    it's still far from "all software".

    > but why run the serivce if you can just initiate it yourself. running
    > more and more services on a pc just boggs it down.

    In most cases it's not implemented as a service, but as a function that
    checks for updates whenever the program is started.

    > and do we really know that this is all its doing?

    No. Not unless you inspect the traffic at least.

    cu
    59cobalt
    --Mark Russinovich

  8. Re: Comodo reports acrobat, dreamweaver try to connect internet? why

    On May 10, 3:24 pm, bull****...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > On May 8, 7:59 am, RedForeman wrote:
    >

    > > On May 7, 5:18 pm, "duzhid...@gmail.com" wrote:

    > > > Dear all:

    > > > I install a Comodo, a free firewall. Comodo reports acrobat,
    > > > dreamweaver and even other products try to connect internet, parent is
    > > > explore.

    > > > I think these software is not the network ones. They are not supposed
    > > > to do that. Why they still try to connect internet?

    > > > Thanks.

    > > > Z. Du.

    > > All software has a mechanism to check for updates, either by a
    > > timestamp, or an event... either it does it automatically, or you
    > > initiate it...

    > > RedForeman

    > what does service do? does it report to adobe serials, activation
    > information and all that stuff? - Hide quoted text -
    >
    > but why run the serivce if you can just initiate it yourself. running
    > more and more services on a pc just boggs it down. and do we really
    > know that this is all its doing?

    1. The service probably just updates the specific files that 'have'
    updates available... do you realize what an update is and/or how it
    works? how they communicate?
    1a. It probably does report serial, activation date, and some other
    stuff, but if you read their privacy statement and EULA, you'll know
    exactly what they are collecting... or supposedly SAY they are
    collecting
    2. You have the option of running it yourself, you don't have the
    option of turning the automatic update process off, thus the
    'automatic' part.... Don't know, that's just the way it was
    written... Do we know? Not until you inspect the packets going across
    the wire and find out...

    Don't be so paranoid... if you wanna know for sure, dig up some info,
    read it, and start looking at the packets...

    RedForeman

+ Reply to Thread