Learning Iptables from scratch - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Learning Iptables from scratch - Firewalls ; Is there another resource apart from Netfilter.org and Andreasson? I have some knowledge of TCP/IP, but not much Linux, which Andreasson assumes you have. I can write rulesets which seem to work, but I'd like to understand them a little ...

  1. Learning Iptables from scratch

    Is there another resource apart from Netfilter.org and Andreasson?
    I have some knowledge of TCP/IP, but not much Linux, which Andreasson
    assumes you have.
    I can write rulesets which seem to work, but I'd like to understand
    them a little more. Any pointers?
    Thanks,

    Jay

  2. Re: Learning Iptables from scratch

    Jay wrote:
    > Is there another resource apart from Netfilter.org and Andreasson?
    > I have some knowledge of TCP/IP, but not much Linux, which Andreasson
    > assumes you have.
    > I can write rulesets which seem to work, but I'd like to understand
    > them a little more. Any pointers?

    What's wrong with the tutorials on netfilter.org? Are you missing
    something particular there?

    cu
    59cobalt
    --Mark Russinovich

  3. Re: Learning Iptables from scratch

    Jay,

    I recommend "Linux Firewalls", Second Edition by Robert Ziegler. It was
    published in 2002, but it has coverage of iptables, good examples. You
    should be able to pick it up used too.

    Amazon link:

    http://www.amazon.com/Linux-Firewall...116539&sr=11-1

    "Jay" wrote in message
    > Is there another resource apart from Netfilter.org and Andreasson?
    > I have some knowledge of TCP/IP, but not much Linux, which Andreasson
    > assumes you have.
    > I can write rulesets which seem to work, but I'd like to understand
    > them a little more. Any pointers?
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jay

+ Reply to Thread