Office Communicator ports - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Office Communicator ports - Firewalls ; Hello, Does anybody have Microsoft Office Communicator working through a firewall delivering voice, video and application sharing. I know Communicator is built on the principle of Windows Messenger which works but communicator will only enable me to do a one-way ...

  1. Office Communicator ports

    Hello,

    Does anybody have Microsoft Office Communicator working through a firewall
    delivering voice, video and application sharing. I know Communicator is
    built on the principle of Windows Messenger which works but communicator
    will only enable me to do a one-way call. I have a DrayTek router and it
    seems to work correctly. I've been through Google and opened the
    recommended ports, I've even tried UPnP but get the same issue. I start
    video connection or voice call, the other end can hear and see me but I get
    nothing back. Router reports no error, I've even moved the workstation into
    the routers DMZ and get the same this. Have considered the option that it
    could be the other end, if they initiate the session it works OK and two-way
    comms is possible.

    Don't have any issues with NetMeeting or MSN Messenger. And workstation
    firewall doesn't seem to make a difference.

    Please let me know if you have it working and what ports are open.

    Thanks

    Ian

  2. Re: Office Communicator ports

    On Apr 15, 6:41 am, "Ian" wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Does anybody have Microsoft Office Communicator working through a firewall
    > delivering voice, video and application sharing. I know Communicator is
    > built on the principle of Windows Messenger which works but communicator
    > will only enable me to do a one-way call. I have a DrayTek router and it
    > seems to work correctly. I've been through Google and opened the
    > recommended ports, I've even tried UPnP but get the same issue. I start
    > video connection or voice call, the other end can hear and see me but I get
    > nothing back. Router reports no error, I've even moved the workstation into
    > the routers DMZ and get the same this. Have considered the option that it
    > could be the other end, if they initiate the session it works OK and two-way
    > comms is possible.
    >
    > Don't have any issues with NetMeeting or MSN Messenger. And workstation
    > firewall doesn't seem to make a difference.
    >
    > Please let me know if you have it working and what ports are open.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Ian

    Ian:
    Here is list of port that communicator uses. If you have put your
    machine outside your firewall and you still can not maitain a two
    communication, then your firewall is out of the picture, unless your
    firewall is controlling traffic to and from your dmz as well.

    TCP port 80 (HTTP) or TCP port 443 (HTTPS), depending on how the
    virtual server (Web access server) is configured
    Dynamic port for incoming traffic from Live Communications Server
    (Communicator Web Access listens on a random port)
    Outgoing Ports:
    TCP port 3268 (LDAP) on the global catalog server
    TCP port 389 (LDAP) on the domain controller
    TCP port 5061 (MTLS) on the server or pool running Live
    Communications Server

    Hope it helps..( Julio)

+ Reply to Thread