Linking to video file? - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Linking to video file? - Firewalls ; At the school where I work I've got an online searchable database of video tapes and dvds, using MySql and PHP on a Linux machine. It works fine. I'm trancoding some of the tapes to avi files, which can be ...

  1. Linking to video file?

    At the school where I work I've got an online searchable database of
    video tapes and dvds, using MySql and PHP on a Linux machine. It works
    fine. I'm trancoding some of the tapes to avi files, which can be
    accessed as a samba share. I'd like to put clickable links into the
    database, so if a user sees the file is coloured blue, they can click it
    and it plays. I've got it working, but:

    Using a 'href' link in HTML code of the PHP powered web page, the file
    is downloaded at the user end completely before it starts playing in MS
    Media Player, which results in an unacceptably long delay (the file
    could be 200Meg). But if a user accesses the file directly through the
    file system using the samba share directory, the video starts almost
    immediately and 'streams'.

    I've looked at using the tag, but this appears to embed the
    whole video in the web page, which is not really what I want.

    How can I embed into my PHP powered web page a link that uses samba file
    sharing, so it streams to MS Media player, please?

    Jim Ford

  2. Re: Linking to video file? (Sorry - wrong NG!)

    Jim Ford wrote:

    8^(

    Jim Ford