Network neighbourhood browsing between VPN'ed locations? - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Network neighbourhood browsing between VPN'ed locations? - Firewalls ; Hi there, Looking for a way to enable neighbourhood browsing (netbios broadcasting) between two different sites over a checkpoint safe@office 110 vpn connection. Name resolution/sharing is not an issue here as being successfully performed by a pdc w2k running a ...

  1. Network neighbourhood browsing between VPN'ed locations?

    Hi there,

    Looking for a way to enable neighbourhood browsing (netbios
    broadcasting) between two different sites over a checkpoint
    safe@office 110 vpn connection.
    Name resolution/sharing is not an issue here as being successfully
    performed by a pdc w2k running a wins server (lmhosts)

    any tips most welcome,
    tia+brgds

  2. Re: Network neighbourhood browsing between VPN'ed locations?

    Marvin wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Looking for a way to enable neighbourhood browsing (netbios
    > broadcasting) between two different sites over a checkpoint
    > safe@office 110 vpn connection.
    > Name resolution/sharing is not an issue here as being successfully
    > performed by a pdc w2k running a wins server (lmhosts)
    >
    > any tips most welcome,
    > tia+brgds

    If clients on both ends of the VPN are using the same WINS server (or
    WINS servers configured as replication partners), you should be able to
    browse. Some routers can be configured to pass NetBIOS broadcasts, you'd
    have to check your routers documentation.

    ....kurt

  3. Re: Network neighbourhood browsing between VPN'ed locations?

    Kurt wrote:
    > Marvin wrote:
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> Looking for a way to enable neighbourhood browsing (netbios
    >> broadcasting) between two different sites over a checkpoint
    >> safe@office 110 vpn connection.
    >> Name resolution/sharing is not an issue here as being successfully
    >> performed by a pdc w2k running a wins server (lmhosts)
    >>
    >> any tips most welcome,
    >> tia+brgds
    >>

    > If clients on both ends of the VPN are using the same WINS server (or
    > WINS servers configured as replication partners), you should be able to
    > browse. Some routers can be configured to pass NetBIOS broadcasts, you'd
    > have to check your routers documentation.
    >
    > ...kurt

    Oh yeah, NetBIOS broadcasts use the subnet broadcast address, so even if
    you could pass broadcasts, the announcements won't be accepted by
    devices on a different subnet (or even with a different subnet mask,
    because the broadcast address will be wrong). To prove this, hook up 2
    computers with a switch or crossover cable, give one an IP address of
    192.168.1.1 mask 255.255.255.0 and the other an IP address of
    192.168.1.2 but mask 255.255.255.128. The two computers will still be
    able to ping each other, you can connect to shares using the IP address,
    but they won't see each other in My Network Places. Give them both the
    same subnet mask and reboot and they will be there in MY Net Places.
    This is exactly what WINS is for.

    kurt

+ Reply to Thread