Newbie - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Newbie - Firewalls ; Hi, I am fairly new to all of this and am asking for your help in figuring our what protection I need for my home network. I have a Dell Dimension E310 that I am running wirelessly on a network ...

  1. Newbie

    Hi,

    I am fairly new to all of this and am asking for your help in figuring our
    what protection I need for my home network.

    I have a Dell Dimension E310 that I am running wirelessly on a network in my
    home through Verizon FIOS. Can someone please tell me what is the best
    configuration for protection? My computer came with McAfee Spamkiller
    installed, but that complimentary subscription has expired and I don't want
    to renew it until I know more about what is the best solution. Should I
    renew with McAfee, and if so, which of their products should I get? Should
    I also get Adaware?

    Please respond to my email as I don't check this group on a regular basis.

    Thanks for your help,

    Lewis

  2. Re: Newbie

    "Lewis Angel" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am fairly new to all of this and am asking for your help in figuring our
    > what protection I need for my home network.
    >
    > I have a Dell Dimension E310 that I am running wirelessly on a network in
    > my home through Verizon FIOS. Can someone please tell me what is the best
    > configuration for protection? My computer came with McAfee Spamkiller
    > installed, but that complimentary subscription has expired and I don't
    > want to renew it until I know more about what is the best solution.
    > Should I renew with McAfee, and if so, which of their products should I
    > get? Should I also get Adaware?
    >
    > Please respond to my email as I don't check this group on a regular
    > basis.
    >

    > Thanks for your help,
    >
    > Lewis

    I like ZoneAlarm. You can try for free then buy inexpensively. Pretty user
    friendly too.

    DB

  3. Re: Newbie

    "Lewis Angel" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am fairly new to all of this and am asking for your help in figuring our
    > what protection I need for my home network.
    >
    > I have a Dell Dimension E310 that I am running wirelessly on a network in
    > my home through Verizon FIOS. Can someone please tell me what is the best
    > configuration for protection? My computer came with McAfee Spamkiller
    > installed, but that complimentary subscription has expired and I don't
    > want to renew it until I know more about what is the best solution.
    > Should I renew with McAfee, and if so, which of their products should I
    > get? Should I also get Adaware?
    >
    > Please respond to my email as I don't check this group on a regular
    > basis.
    >

    > Thanks for your help,
    >
    > Lewis

    Your going to need Firewall, Anti-Virus, and Anti-Spyware. You can get them
    all in ZoneAlarm Security Suite.

    DB

  4. Re: Newbie

    "Lewis Angel" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am fairly new to all of this and am asking for your help in figuring our
    > what protection I need for my home network.
    >
    > I have a Dell Dimension E310 that I am running wirelessly on a network in
    > my home through Verizon FIOS. Can someone please tell me what is the best
    > configuration for protection? My computer came with McAfee Spamkiller
    > installed, but that complimentary subscription has expired and I don't
    > want to renew it until I know more about what is the best solution.
    > Should I renew with McAfee, and if so, which of their products should I
    > get? Should I also get Adaware?
    >
    > Please respond to my email as I don't check this group on a regular
    > basis.
    >

    > Thanks for your help,
    >
    > Lewis

    ZA Security Suite has Wireless protection too.

    http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...ampaign_id=smb

    DB

  5. Re: Newbie

    DB wrote:

    > Your going to need Firewall, Anti-Virus, and Anti-Spyware. You can get them
    > all in ZoneAlarm Security Suite.

    And _you're_ going to get hammered by certain regular posters on this
    forum. I await responses with interest!
    ;^)

    Jim Ford

  6. Re: Newbie

    "Jim Ford" wrote in message
    > DB wrote:
    >
    >> Your going to need Firewall, Anti-Virus, and Anti-Spyware. You can get
    >> them all in ZoneAlarm Security Suite.

    > And _you're_ going to get hammered by certain regular posters on this
    > forum. I await responses with interest!
    > ;^)
    >
    > Jim Ford

    Sounds like you're already hammered.

    If there's something better I should know about, I'm listening. It would
    have to do all of the above.

  7. Re: Newbie

    DB wrote:
    > "Jim Ford" wrote in message
    >> DB wrote:
    >>
    >>> Your going to need Firewall, Anti-Virus, and Anti-Spyware. You can get
    >>> them all in ZoneAlarm Security Suite.

    >> And _you're_ going to get hammered by certain regular posters on this
    >> forum. I await responses with interest!
    >> ;^)
    >>
    >> Jim Ford

    > Sounds like you're already hammered.
    >
    > If there's something better I should know about, I'm listening. It would
    > have to do all of the above.

    There are those on this forum that heap scorn on Personal Fire Walls
    like ZoneAlarm and Commodo, and they're not generally slow in making
    their opinions known. ZoneAlarm in particular rattles their cages
    vigorously!

    For my part, I use 'Leaf Bering uClibc' on an old Celeron machine for a
    firewall. There may be little to choose between Leaf and other flavours
    of iptables based firewalls, but Leaf is very well supported through the
    emailing list:

    http://leaf.sourceforge.net/bering-uclibc/

    and use vigilance, AVG and SUPERAntiSpyware for virus and spyware
    protection.

    Jim Ford

  8. Re: Newbie

    DB wrote:
    > I like ZoneAlarm.

    Don't be sad. Others like SM or dildos in the shape of carrots.

    Yours,
    VB.
    --
    "Terror eignet sich mehr als irgendeine andere militärische Strategie dazu,
    die Bevölkerung zu manipulieren."

  9. Re: Newbie

    Volker Birk wrote:
    > DB wrote:
    >> I like ZoneAlarm.

    > Don't be sad. Others like SM or dildos in the shape of carrots.

    What did I tell you, 'DB'? I'm just waiting for 'The Other One'!
    ;^)

    Jim Ford

  10. Re: Newbie

    Jim Ford wrote:
    > What did I tell you

    You're a fortune teller ;-)

    Yours,
    VB.
    --
    "Terror eignet sich mehr als irgendeine andere militärische Strategie dazu,
    die Bevölkerung zu manipulieren."
    (Dr. Daniele Ganser, 2005)

  11. Re: Newbie

    Volker Birk wrote:
    > Jim Ford wrote:
    >> What did I tell you

    > You're a fortune teller ;-)

    I can see 'S.G.' and 'A.W.' lurking in my crystal ball!
    ;^)

    Jim Ford

+ Reply to Thread