FYI - ZoneAlarm won't block IE!!!! - Firewalls

This is a discussion on FYI - ZoneAlarm won't block IE!!!! - Firewalls ; FYI Setting ZoneAlarm to block IE in the normal way will NOT prevent IE from accessing the internet!!...

  1. FYI - ZoneAlarm won't block IE!!!!

    FYI

    Setting ZoneAlarm to block IE in the normal way will NOT prevent IE from
    accessing the internet!!

  2. Re: FYI - ZoneAlarm won't block IE!!!!

    On Apr 9, 5:12 am, "DB" wrote:
    > FYI
    >
    > Setting ZoneAlarm to block IE in the normal way will NOT prevent IE from
    > accessing the internet!!

    anything that zone alarm does block is purely coincidental and not a
    result of any policies that are set.

    Flamer.

  3. Re: FYI - ZoneAlarm won't block IE!!!!

    wrote in message
    news:1176175884.517749.82780@y66g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com...
    > On Apr 9, 5:12 am, "DB" wrote:
    >> FYI
    >>
    >> Setting ZoneAlarm to block IE in the normal way will NOT prevent IE from
    >> accessing the internet!!

    > anything that zone alarm does block is purely coincidental and not a
    > result of any policies that are set.
    >
    > Flamer.

    Am I vulnerable even though I have ZA Sec Suite? Any suggestions?

  4. Re: FYI - ZoneAlarm won't block IE!!!!

    On Apr 11, 4:32 pm, "DB" wrote:
    > wrote in message
    >
    > news:1176175884.517749.82780@y66g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com...
    >
    > > On Apr 9, 5:12 am, "DB" wrote:
    > >> FYI

    > >> Setting ZoneAlarm to block IE in the normal way will NOT prevent IE from
    > >> accessing the internet!!

    > > anything that zone alarm does block is purely coincidental and not a
    > > result of any policies that are set.

    > > Flamer.

    > Am I vulnerable even though I have ZA Sec Suite? Any suggestions?

    if you are on a broadband connection you probably have a router of
    some description, most routers have a NAT function and a firewall
    function, enable both of these and your computer will be protected and
    you won't need ZA. If you don't currently have a router you can invest
    in a cheap one, just ask the salesperson for a router that does NAT
    and has basic firewall features. This however won't let you block per
    application.. why not just uninstall applications you don't trust?

    Flamer.

  5. Re: FYI - ZoneAlarm won't block IE!!!!

    wrote in message
    news:1176330656.308081.194040@w1g2000hsg.googlegro ups.com...
    > On Apr 11, 4:32 pm, "DB" wrote:
    >> wrote in message
    >>
    >> news:1176175884.517749.82780@y66g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com...

    >> > anything that zone alarm does block is purely coincidental and not a
    >> > result of any policies that are set.

    >> > Flamer.

    >> Am I vulnerable even though I have ZA Sec Suite? Any suggestions?

    > if you are on a broadband connection you probably have a router of
    > some description, most routers have a NAT function and a firewall
    > function, enable both of these and your computer will be protected and
    > you won't need ZA. If you don't currently have a router you can invest
    > in a cheap one, just ask the salesperson for a router that does NAT
    > and has basic firewall features. This however won't let you block per
    > application.. why not just uninstall applications you don't trust?
    >
    > Flamer.

    This isn't a trust issue. It's an FYI issue. It should block IE when you
    set it to but for some reason the ZA people thought it would be OK to let IE
    just slip by anyway, and not give the user a choice. We all just love it so
    much when software producers take that kind of initiative.

    DB

  6. Re: FYI - ZoneAlarm won't block IE!!!!

    On Apr 11, 3:57 pm, "DB" wrote:
    > wrote in message
    >
    > news:1176330656.308081.194040@w1g2000hsg.googlegro ups.com...
    >

    > > On Apr 11, 4:32 pm, "DB" wrote:
    > >> wrote in message

    > >>news:1176175884.517749.82780@y66g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com...

    > >> Am I vulnerable even though I have ZA Sec Suite? Any suggestions?

    > > if you are on a broadband connection you probably have a router of
    > > some description, most routers have a NAT function and a firewall
    > > function, enable both of these and your computer will be protected and
    > > you won't need ZA. If you don't currently have a router you can invest
    > > in a cheap one, just ask the salesperson for a router that does NAT
    > > and has basic firewall features. This however won't let you block per
    > > application.. why not just uninstall applications you don't trust?

    > > Flamer.

    > This isn't a trust issue. It's an FYI issue. It should block IE when you
    > set it to but for some reason the ZA people thought it would be OK to let IE
    > just slip by anyway, and not give the user a choice. We all just love it so
    > much when software producers take that kind of initiative.
    >
    > DB

    Strange, my zone alarm blocks IE - but then, I'm currently on version
    5.

    Shneor

+ Reply to Thread