ZoneAlarm problem - Firewalls

This is a discussion on ZoneAlarm problem - Firewalls ; Folks, Today I got a notice of a new version of ZoneAlarm - the free one. I tried to download it, but that didn't work. I thought I could uninstall it, then reinstall it (I had been given the option ...

  1. ZoneAlarm problem

    Folks,

    Today I got a notice of a new version of ZoneAlarm - the free one. I
    tried to download it, but that didn't work. I thought I could
    uninstall it, then reinstall it (I had been given the option before).
    I tried to uninstall, and got a message"True Vector Internet Monitor
    was not uninstalled. The uninstall was not able to stop the True
    Vector engine. Uninstall ZA and make sure all other True Vecor based
    programs have been closed."

    Now I get a "vs.mon.exe" error message that it failed because
    zpeng24.dll not found. And that reinstalling the app may fix the
    problem.

    Tried to install ZA new, and it won't let me. At this point, I don't
    know if I have a firewall that works (although Windows Security says
    ZA is working).

    And somewhere along the line, the bottom 20% of my screen has been
    turned into unusable blank space. I don't know why. I do know I've
    tried System Restore several times, and that isn't helping. And I
    can't get rid of the warning box for *vsmon.exe - unable to locate
    component*

    I'm so frustrated, I'd be willing to dump Zone Alarm in its entirety
    and try Comodo, or even the Windows firewall that came with the
    system. BTW, my computer is a year old Dell Dimension E510 running
    Windows XP SP-2.

    If anyone could help, I'd be grateful.

    Thanks,

    Rick

  2. Re: ZoneAlarm problem

    On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 02:55:22 GMT, rick@spamgmail.com wrote:

    > Folks,
    >
    > Today I got a notice of a new version of ZoneAlarm - the free one. I
    > tried to download it, but that didn't work. I thought I could
    > uninstall it, then reinstall it (I had been given the option before).
    > I tried to uninstall, and got a message"True Vector Internet Monitor
    > was not uninstalled. The uninstall was not able to stop the True
    > Vector engine. Uninstall ZA and make sure all other True Vecor based
    > programs have been closed."
    >
    > Now I get a "vs.mon.exe" error message that it failed because
    > zpeng24.dll not found. And that reinstalling the app may fix the
    > problem.
    >
    > Tried to install ZA new, and it won't let me. At this point, I don't
    > know if I have a firewall that works (although Windows Security says
    > ZA is working).
    >
    > And somewhere along the line, the bottom 20% of my screen has been
    > turned into unusable blank space. I don't know why. I do know I've
    > tried System Restore several times, and that isn't helping. And I
    > can't get rid of the warning box for *vsmon.exe - unable to locate
    > component*
    >
    > I'm so frustrated, I'd be willing to dump Zone Alarm in its entirety
    > and try Comodo, or even the Windows firewall that came with the
    > system. BTW, my computer is a year old Dell Dimension E510 running
    > Windows XP SP-2.
    >
    > If anyone could help, I'd be grateful.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Rick

    I would suggest going to ZoneLabs website and get specific information for
    manually uninstalling the leftover ZA components. I've gone through this
    nightmare once before with an earlier version, as have many others. You
    should be able to get proper help at their site. Just go the following
    site and click on "Customer Support."

    http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/home.jsp

  3. Re: ZoneAlarm problem

    On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 02:55:22 GMT, rick@spamgmail.com wrote:

    A ZA forum would be the proper place to ask about such problems.

    >I'm so frustrated, I'd be willing to dump Zone Alarm in its entirety

    Good idea.

    >and try Comodo,

    Oh, please don't replace one mistake with another.

    >or even the Windows firewall that came with the
    >system.

    Better idea. It's the least bad solution.

    >BTW, my computer is a year old Dell Dimension E510 running
    >Windows XP SP-2.
    >
    >If anyone could help, I'd be grateful.

    Learn a little about networking and how to monitior what is going on
    in your machine in general. Take responsibiity of what apps you
    install and which programs you run - you don't need a PFW toy.

  4. Re: ZoneAlarm problem

    B. Nice wrote:

    > >or even the Windows firewall that came with the
    > >system.

    > Better idea. It's the least bad solution.

    But you loose the main part, the program monitor?
    With a hardware firewall - is the Windows one needed?
    --
    Lars-Erik - http://www.osterud.name - ICQ 7297605

  5. Re: ZoneAlarm problem

    Lars-Erik ěsterud <.@.> wrote:
    > B. Nice wrote:
    >>> or even the Windows firewall that came with the system.

    >> Better idea. It's the least bad solution.

    > But you loose the main part, the program monitor?

    You mean the part that doesn't work reliably in the first place? Yes.

    > With a hardware firewall - is the Windows one needed?

    Depends a bit on your network topology, but usually not.

    cu
    59cobalt
    --Mark Russinovich

  6. Re: ZoneAlarm problem

    Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers wrote:

    > > With a hardware firewall - is the Windows one needed?

    > Depends a bit on your network topology, but usually not.

    NAT router with firewall and two computers on the inside.

    Routers IP is genarated from the ISP (not tracable to a
    spesific computer) and the two computers on the inside
    gets their IP from the ruoter.

    "Shields up" shows that the router FW is 100% OK.

    But of course you loose the program access monitoring.
    --
    Lars-Erik - http://www.osterud.name - ICQ 7297605

+ Reply to Thread