Zone Alarm Pro - desktop - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Zone Alarm Pro - desktop - Firewalls ; When I play games ZAP keeps bringing me to the desktop but I'm not sure why because I have "manual update" switched on. I say this because I'm sure that it's still updating. Would there be any other reason it ...

  1. Zone Alarm Pro - desktop

    When I play games ZAP keeps bringing me to the desktop but I'm not sure why
    because I have "manual update" switched on. I say this because I'm sure that
    it's still updating. Would there be any other reason it brings me there? If
    so, is there a way to stop it?

    Thanks all

  2. Re: Zone Alarm Pro - desktop

    Phil wrote:
    > When I play games ZAP keeps bringing me to the desktop but I'm not sure why
    > because I have "manual update" switched on. I say this because I'm sure that
    > it's still updating. Would there be any other reason it brings me there? If
    > so, is there a way to stop it?
    >
    > Thanks all

    The games are possibly trying to connect to the Internet using a port
    that you have blocked. ZAP could be asking you if you want to allow the
    port that the game is trying to use but not seeing the pop-up on your
    desktop.

    Just a possibility. The games could be looking for updates or things
    like that. Check and see if the games do have such capabilities and if
    so what ports they use. Then forward those ports accordingly.

    I haven't used Z personally but for about a week when I tried it. I
    can't remember but if it has a setting to allow programs try putting
    your games in there to allow access if you can't find what ports they
    may use.

    Here is the soft firewall I use. It is totally free and keeps up with
    the top "pay for" firewalls.

    http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

    I haven't had any problems yet. And it is program specific.

+ Reply to Thread