Cable Modem Router Required with 50-100 Mbps Downstream Speed - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Cable Modem Router Required with 50-100 Mbps Downstream Speed - Firewalls ; Hi, I'm in the UK and access the Internet through Virgin Media (formerly Telewest Broadband). I'm on a 10Mbps service, but due to the limitaions of my router (Linksys BEFSR41), I only get a max speed of around 6 Mbps. ...

  1. Cable Modem Router Required with 50-100 Mbps Downstream Speed

    Hi,

    I'm in the UK and access the Internet through Virgin Media (formerly
    Telewest Broadband). I'm on a 10Mbps service, but due to the limitaions of
    my router (Linksys BEFSR41), I only get a max speed of around 6 Mbps. When I
    disconnect the router and plug in directly to the cable modem, the speed
    increases up to around 9.5 Mbps.

    Vrigin Media are about to increase the speed to 20 Mbps very soon and later
    in the year they will offer a 50Mbps (and higher) service.

    Therefore, I need a cable modem router that enables downstream speeds of up
    to at least 50Mbps or preferably one that can handle 100MBps.

    Does anyone know of any routers that would enable 100 Mbps LAN to WAN
    throughput?

    Thanks in advance

    John

  2. Re: Cable Modem Router Required with 50-100 Mbps Downstream Speed

    > Does anyone know of any routers that would enable 100 Mbps LAN to WAN
    > throughput?

    Models from the Cisco 72xx series should be able to get the job done.

    Wolfgang

  3. Re: Cable Modem Router Required with 50-100 Mbps Downstream Speed

    Hi John,

    I have a Trendnet TW100-BRV204, and it can do the job

    Søren

    "." <@> skrev i en meddelelse
    news:460d3a6f$0$6389$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshostin g.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm in the UK and access the Internet through Virgin Media (formerly
    > Telewest Broadband). I'm on a 10Mbps service, but due to the limitaions of
    > my router (Linksys BEFSR41), I only get a max speed of around 6 Mbps. When
    > disconnect the router and plug in directly to the cable modem, the speed
    > increases up to around 9.5 Mbps.
    >
    > Vrigin Media are about to increase the speed to 20 Mbps very soon and
    > later
    > in the year they will offer a 50Mbps (and higher) service.
    >
    > Therefore, I need a cable modem router that enables downstream speeds of
    > up
    > to at least 50Mbps or preferably one that can handle 100MBps.
    >
    > Does anyone know of any routers that would enable 100 Mbps LAN to WAN
    > throughput?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > John

  4. Re: Cable Modem Router Required with 50-100 Mbps Downstream Speed

    "Wolfgang Kueter" wrote in message

    >> Does anyone know of any routers that would enable 100 Mbps LAN to WAN
    >> throughput?

    > Models from the Cisco 72xx series should be able to get the job done.
    >
    > Wolfgang

    Thanks. I'll check it out.

  5. Re: Cable Modem Router Required with 50-100 Mbps Downstream Speed

    .. wrote:

    > "Wolfgang Kueter" wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Does anyone know of any routers that would enable 100 Mbps LAN to WAN
    >>> throughput?

    >> Models from the Cisco 72xx series should be able to get the job done.

    > Thanks. I'll check it out.

    Be warned, you might need to talk to (former) Virgin boss Richard. Branson
    before.

    Wolfgang

  6. Re: Cable Modem Router Required with 50-100 Mbps Downstream Speed

    >. wrote:
    > Be warned, you might need to talk to (former) Virgin boss Richard. Branson
    > before.
    >
    > Wolfgang

    Yes. I know what you mean. He's picked a fight with Rupert Murdoch and as a
    result, Sky One, the main entertainment channel has now been taken off
    Virgin's tv services.

    On the plus side, Virgin's broadband packages have gone down in price and I
    know of some new customers that are given a free wireless router as a
    'sweetener', but guess what, the router can't handle 10 Mbps!!

  7. Re: Cable Modem Router Required with 50-100 Mbps Downstream Speed

    .. wrote:

    > On the plus side, Virgin's broadband packages have gone down in price and
    > I know of some new customers that are given a free wireless router as a
    > 'sweetener', but guess what, the router can't handle 10 Mbps!!

    The question is not whether a cisco 72xx can handle 10 Mbps but whether you
    can handle the router,

    Wolfgang

  8. Re: Cable Modem Router Required with 50-100 Mbps Downstream Speed

    Hi,

    I've done a fair bit of research and the following webpage lists routers
    with decent WAN to LAN throughput and LAN to WAN throughput.

    Many of them are under the $100 mark, so are fine for home use.

    Hope it's useful:-

    http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/co...,189/chart,119

+ Reply to Thread