HPING3 - Firewalls

This is a discussion on HPING3 - Firewalls ; I wonder why HPING3 has two different flags for setting TCP ACK... -A --ack: Set ACK tcp flag. -L --tcpack: Set the TCP ack. There has to be a difference, but I don't know..... Can someone through some light on ...

  1. HPING3

    I wonder why HPING3 has two different flags for setting TCP ACK...

    -A --ack: Set ACK tcp flag.

    -L --tcpack: Set the TCP ack.

    There has to be a difference, but I don't know.....

    Can someone through some light on that ?

    thanks

    Soapp

  2. Re: HPING3

    On 30 Mar 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.security.firewalls, in article
    <1175259164.504210.159720@l77g2000hsb.googlegroups. com>, Soapp wrote:

    >I wonder why HPING3 has two different flags for setting TCP ACK...

    [compton ~]$ whatis hping3
    hping3 (8) - send (almost) arbitrary TCP/IP packets to network hosts
    [compton ~]$

    Versatility.

    >-A --ack: Set ACK tcp flag.
    >
    >-L --tcpack: Set the TCP ack.
    >
    >There has to be a difference, but I don't know.....

    0793 Transmission Control Protocol. J. Postel. September 1981.
    (Format: TXT=172710 bytes) (Updated by RFC3168) (Also STD0007)

    Section 3.1 - you can find the RFC using the same search engine you are
    posting from.

    >Can someone through some light on that ?

    What is the difference between 12th bit in the fourth 32 bit word (ACK) of
    a TCP header and the entire third 32 bit word of the header?

    Old guy

  3. Re: HPING3

    > What is the difference between 12th bit in the fourth 32 bit word (ACK) of
    > a TCP header and the entire third 32 bit word of the header?
    >
    > Old guy

    Oh, I see,

    -L --tcpack, sets the 32 Bit TCP ackknowledge Number

    Thank you

+ Reply to Thread