Suggestion wanted - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Suggestion wanted - Firewalls ; Hi all, I am running xppro/sp2 thru a router and am happy with my firewall situation. Now that I am on Hughes net, I want to know who, what where. I used to use Atguard, but of course it doesn't ...

  1. Suggestion wanted

    Hi all,
    I am running xppro/sp2 thru a router and am happy with my firewall
    situation. Now that I am on Hughes net, I want to know who, what
    where. I used to use Atguard, but of course it doesn't log in XP.

    I am looking for a simple program that logs all connections.

    Any thoughts are welcome.
    Regards,
    Terry

  2. Re: Suggestion wanted

    Terry wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > I am running xppro/sp2 thru a router and am happy with my firewall
    > situation. Now that I am on Hughes net, I want to know who, what
    > where. I used to use Atguard,

    And you were happy with that? Oh my...

    > but of course it doesn't log in XP.
    >
    > I am looking for a simple program that logs all connections.

    PortReporter

  3. Re: Suggestion wanted

    On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 22:28:14 +0200, Sebastian Gottschalk
    wrote:

    >Terry wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >> I am running xppro/sp2 thru a router and am happy with my firewall
    >> situation. Now that I am on Hughes net, I want to know who, what
    >> where. I used to use Atguard,

    >And you were happy with that? Oh my...

    I like you even though your mother didn't teach you better manners

    >> but of course it doesn't log in XP.
    >>
    >> I am looking for a simple program that logs all connections.

    >PortReporter

    I just downloaded it, it works fine, but, since I use a limited
    account while on the internet, it won't let me access the log.
    Thanks anyway
    Terry

  4. Re: Suggestion wanted

    Terry wrote:

    > I just downloaded it, it works fine, but, since I use a limited
    > account while on the internet, it won't let me access the log.
    > Thanks anyway

    The possibility to change file permissions exists.

    Wolfgang

  5. Re: Suggestion wanted

    On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 23:29:02 +0200, Wolfgang Kueter
    wrote:

    >Terry wrote:
    >

    >> I just downloaded it, it works fine, but, since I use a limited
    >> account while on the internet, it won't let me access the log.
    >> Thanks anyway

    >The possibility to change file permissions exists.
    >
    >Wolfgang

    Thank you, but it is a system folder and won't allow me to change the
    permissions.

    Terry

  6. Re: Suggestion wanted

    Terry wrote:
    > On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 23:29:02 +0200, Wolfgang Kueter wrote:
    >> Terry wrote:
    >>> I just downloaded it, it works fine, but, since I use a limited
    >>> account while on the internet, it won't let me access the log.

    >> The possibility to change file permissions exists.

    > Thank you, but it is a system folder and won't allow me to change the
    > permissions.

    Of course you need admin privileges to be able to grant access there.
    Log in as an administrator and grant read access to your user. Better:
    add a new group "logwatch", add your user to this group, and grant read
    access on the logs to that group.

    cu
    59cobalt
    --Mark Russinovich

  7. Re: Suggestion wanted

    On 30 Mar 2007 01:05:10 GMT, Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers
    wrote:

    >Terry wrote:
    >>>
    >>> The possibility to change file permissions exists.

    >> Thank you, but it is a system folder and won't allow me to change the
    >> permissions.

    >Of course you need admin privileges to be able to grant access there.
    >Log in as an administrator and grant read access to your user. Better:
    >add a new group "logwatch", add your user to this group, and grant read
    >access on the logs to that group.
    >
    >cu
    >59cobalt

    I was logged on as admin, but still wasn't allowed to grant access.
    Is there another way besides going thru sharing security?

    Terry

  8. Re: Suggestion wanted

    Terry wrote:

    > On 30 Mar 2007 01:05:10 GMT, Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Terry wrote:

    >>> Thank you, but it is a system folder and won't allow me to change the
    >>> permissions.

    >>Of course you need admin privileges to be able to grant access there.
    >>Log in as an administrator and grant read access to your user. Better:
    >>add a new group "logwatch", add your user to this group, and grant read
    >>access on the logs to that group.
    >>
    >>cu
    >>59cobalt

    > I was logged on as admin, but still wasn't allowed to grant access.

    And you surely stopped Windows Firewall before trying that? After all, it's
    normally not possible to change the ACLs of an open file in Windows.

  9. Re: Suggestion wanted

    Terry wrote:
    > On 30 Mar 2007 01:05:10 GMT, Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers wrote:
    >> Of course you need admin privileges to be able to grant access there.
    >> Log in as an administrator and grant read access to your user.
    >> Better: add a new group "logwatch", add your user to this group, and
    >> grant read access on the logs to that group.

    > I was logged on as admin, but still wasn't allowed to grant access. Is
    > there another way besides going thru sharing security?

    Please elaborate. How exactly are you "not allowed to grant access"? If
    you have a vanilla XP Pro some stuff is hidden by default, but that can
    be changed through the Explorer options.

    cu
    59cobalt
    --Mark Russinovich

  10. Re: Suggestion wanted

    On 30 Mar 2007 13:10:13 GMT, Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers
    wrote:

    >Terry wrote:
    >> On 30 Mar 2007 01:05:10 GMT, Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers wrote:
    >>> Of course you need admin privileges to be able to grant access there.
    >>> Log in as an administrator and grant read access to your user.
    >>> Better: add a new group "logwatch", add your user to this group, and
    >>> grant read access on the logs to that group.

    >> I was logged on as admin, but still wasn't allowed to grant access. Is
    >> there another way besides going thru sharing security?

    >Please elaborate. How exactly are you "not allowed to grant access"? If
    >you have a vanilla XP Pro some stuff is hidden by default, but that can
    >be changed through the Explorer options.
    >
    >cu
    >59cobalt

    Thank you Sebastian and Ansgar.

    I log into the admin account, go to the logfile folder in sys32 and
    open the sharing menu. The lower options are grayed out saying it
    can't be shared because it is a operating system folder.

    Terry

  11. Re: Suggestion wanted

    Terry wrote:

    >>> I was logged on as admin, but still wasn't allowed to grant access. Is
    >>> there another way besides going thru sharing security?

    cacls.exe

    >>Please elaborate. How exactly are you "not allowed to grant access"? If
    >>you have a vanilla XP Pro some stuff is hidden by default, but that can
    >>be changed through the Explorer options.
    >>
    >>cu
    >>59cobalt

    > Thank you Sebastian and Ansgar.
    >
    > I log into the admin account, go to the logfile folder in sys32 and
    > open the sharing menu.

    Sharing menu? WTF? Security privileges are to be found in the 'Security'
    dialogue under the tab with the very same name.

    (Maybe you should learn how to use your OS first.)

  12. Re: Suggestion wanted

    Terry wrote:
    > On 30 Mar 2007 13:10:13 GMT, Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers wrote:
    >> Terry wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I was logged on as admin, but still wasn't allowed to grant access. Is
    >>> there another way besides going thru sharing security?

    >> Please elaborate. How exactly are you "not allowed to grant access"? If
    >> you have a vanilla XP Pro some stuff is hidden by default, but that can
    >> be changed through the Explorer options.

    > I log into the admin account, go to the logfile folder in sys32 and
    > open the sharing menu. The lower options are grayed out saying it
    > can't be shared because it is a operating system folder.

    The "Sharing" tab is for granting remote access. That's not what you
    want. You need the "Security" tab, which is probably hidden (that's for
    some obscure reason the default).

    I don't have an english version of Windows at hand here, so I may get
    the labels wrong, but what you need to do is this: go to the Explorer
    options, select the "View" tab, and disable everything that says
    "simple", "easy" or "hide". After you click "OK" you should get an
    additional tab "Security" in the properties dialog of files and folders.
    There you can grant access to users and groups.

    cu
    59cobalt
    --Mark Russinovich

  13. Re: Suggestion wanted

    On 30 Mar 2007 17:00:06 GMT, Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers
    wrote:

    >Terry wrote:

    >>> Please elaborate. How exactly are you "not allowed to grant access"? If
    >>> you have a vanilla XP Pro some stuff is hidden by default, but that can
    >>> be changed through the Explorer options.

    >> I log into the admin account, go to the logfile folder in sys32 and
    >> open the sharing menu. The lower options are grayed out saying it
    >> can't be shared because it is a operating system folder.

    >The "Sharing" tab is for granting remote access. That's not what you
    >want. You need the "Security" tab, which is probably hidden (that's for
    >some obscure reason the default).
    >
    >I don't have an english version of Windows at hand here, so I may get
    >the labels wrong, but what you need to do is this: go to the Explorer
    >options, select the "View" tab, and disable everything that says
    >"simple", "easy" or "hide". After you click "OK" you should get an
    >additional tab "Security" in the properties dialog of files and folders.
    >There you can grant access to users and groups.
    >
    >cu
    >59cobalt

    Thanks for being so professional. As for Sebastian, I have high hopes
    for him. If he would just slow down, think, and understand that if I
    knew it I wouldn't be here asking questions.

    I had disabled simple sharing long ago. You started me in the right
    direction. According to Microsoft, the security tab for these types
    of folders is disabled and can't be turned on when part of a
    workgroup. Perhaps it is time to think of another way or program.
    Perhaps it is a part of some firewall that I am not familiar with.
    The windows firewall logs but with very limited information.

  14. Re: Suggestion wanted

    Terry wrote:
    > I had disabled simple sharing long ago. You started me in the right
    > direction. According to Microsoft, the security tab for these types
    > of folders is disabled and can't be turned on when part of a
    > workgroup.

    Ummm... no. you misread that. The security tab is by default *hidden*
    when the computer is member of a workgroup (as opposed to being member
    of a domain). You unhide it by disabling simple sharing.

    > Perhaps it is time to think of another way or program.

    No. The tab is supposed to be there when simple sharing is disabled.
    Could it be you're using FAT32 as your filesystem? FAT doesn't support
    ACLs, in which case the security tab isn't shown. If that's the case I
    *strongly* recommend to switch to NTFS (by using the command "convert"
    on the command-line). However, if you really are using FAT32, access to
    the files in the system directory should not be denied.

    > Perhaps it is a part of some firewall that I am not familiar with.

    May be, but without knowing what software you have installed there's no
    way to tell.

    cu
    59cobalt
    --Mark Russinovich

  15. Re: Suggestion wanted

    On 30 Mar 2007 20:58:20 GMT, Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers
    wrote:

    >Terry wrote:
    >> I had disabled simple sharing long ago. You started me in the right
    >> direction. According to Microsoft, the security tab for these types
    >> of folders is disabled and can't be turned on when part of a
    >> workgroup.

    >Ummm... no. you misread that. The security tab is by default *hidden*
    >when the computer is member of a workgroup (as opposed to being member
    >of a domain). You unhide it by disabling simple sharing.
    >
    >> Perhaps it is time to think of another way or program.

    >No. The tab is supposed to be there when simple sharing is disabled.
    >Could it be you're using FAT32 as your filesystem? FAT doesn't support
    >ACLs, in which case the security tab isn't shown. If that's the case I
    >*strongly* recommend to switch to NTFS (by using the command "convert"
    >on the command-line). However, if you really are using FAT32, access to
    >the files in the system directory should not be denied.
    >
    >> Perhaps it is a part of some firewall that I am not familiar with.

    >May be, but without knowing what software you have installed there's no
    >way to tell.
    >
    >cu
    >59cobalt

    Problem solved. I installed PortReporter on my other puters and the
    tab was there. I uninstalled it and re-installed it on my internet
    puter and the tab was there like magic in properties in the
    PortReporter folder. Gremlins during the first install I guess. I am
    running NTFS
    I discovered that it creates a new log file each time the computer is
    turned on as well as a new one at midnight. In just 2 days I have 6
    files, lots to be sorting out to view.

    I would like a third party logger with just one file which I can
    cleanout once in awhile like the Atguard one. I am using the Windows
    firewall and a D-link router. What else should I be telling you about
    my software? I have googled it and found some programs that seemed
    too Mickey Mouse to me.

    Any thoughts?

    I appreaciate your help

    Terry

    Are you by any chance located in Prussia?

+ Reply to Thread