NAT Router - Firewalls

This is a discussion on NAT Router - Firewalls ; "Leythos" wrote in message news:1175194594_8567@sp6iad.superfeed.net... > On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 18:52:00 +0000, Victek wrote: > >> "Leythos" wrote in message >> news:1175186044_8311@sp6iad.superfeed.net... >>> On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 15:28:23 +0000, Victek wrote: >>>> >>>> Gerald, >>>> >>>> Yes, I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 22 of 22

  1. Re: NAT Router

    "Leythos" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 18:52:00 +0000, Victek wrote:
    >
    >> "Leythos" wrote in message

    >>> You have to follow security normal when using a computer, on or off the
    >>> net, and you need to make sure that you have apps/os patches that are
    >>> designed to secure your system.
    >>>
    >>> Once a machine is compromised, the only true to to be sure it's cleaned
    >>> of
    >>> malware is to wipe it completely and reinstall from known clean media in
    >>> clean environment.
    >>>

    >> I agree, but how can you tell if the machine HAS been compromised by
    >> undetectable malware?

    > Do you ask questions that can't be answered?
    >
    > How can you detect something that can't be detected???? Come on.
    >
    > If you have a machine that is/was compromised you know, or you would not
    > have determined it was compromised. Now, the proper way to clean it is to
    > wipe it, and do it in a clean environment with known clean media.
    >
    > If you can't deteremine if your media is clean then get clean media.
    >
    > Do you always run around in circles?

    I'm not asking the question frivolously, but only to point out what looks
    like a "catch 22". It seems to me that when we acknowledge the possibility
    of undetectable malware being present on the system we also have to
    acknowledge the possibility of malware penetrating the system in an
    undetectable manner. When we "follow security normal when using a computer"
    (as you said) and take all reasonable precautions then it's very unlikely,
    but it seems that we cannot be 100% certain. We can only do the best we can
    and then not worry about it.

  2. Re: NAT Router

    Victek wrote:

    > I agree, but how can you tell if the machine HAS been compromised by
    > undetectable malware?

    You use the one tool that being talked about in all three links, you use
    the tools in the last link.

    You go look for yourself from time to time to see what is running on the
    machine.

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...mt/sm0504.mspx

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2